Did I screw up my daughter's 1st base mitt?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
While I am not arguing that a baseball mitt is designed for a smaller ball, I am saying the mitt can be broken in for softball. If your daughter prefers the feel of the baseball mitt, go for it.

The two pictures are of my daughter's Liberty Advanced 1B mitt and my Rawlings GG Dick's series 1B baseball mitt. I bought the latter to catch for my daughter way back when she was throwing in the 40s. While the softball mitt is ever so slightly larger, the GG pocket is more than large enough to accommodate the larger softball. View attachment 27188View attachment 27189
See @pattar, LE does my “splaining” for me now, so you leave him alone!

Oct 4, 2018
This is what I suspected when I wrote this post. When I bought this glove my DD had not been playing long. I learned how to break in a glove about a million years ago when people did things like oil the crap out of it and shove it under your mattress. (I have since been reformed) I didn't go to that extreme, but I know I didn't do it right. Sometimes the ball will be loose when the glove is closed around it. So I think you are right, there just really isn't much of a pocket.

In the short term, I'll probably play around with it to see if I make it more useful. The velcro issue Annasdad brought up also seemed to make catching easier. From there I'll probably start shopping for something new so it will be broken in by spring.

If you can afford it, I'd certainly start over too. Watch "glove guru Aso" videos on YouTube. Get the right glove using Rainman's advice, then break it in and use it a lot before Spring ball starts.

Oct 4, 2018
If I were in the market for a new 1B mitt for softball, it would 100%, without a doubt be a Rawlings DCT pattern baseball mitt!

In fact...this one!

Looks nice. I'm kind of in the market for one for DD. This looks solid. Any way I can order it with gold welting?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
DD: "Dad, I need to switch teams. Sally keeps eating all of my sunflower seeds and I am at my wits end"
Dad: "Yeah..no. You do remember that puke green and urine colored glove I bought you? Unless you plan on playing for the Lenox Leaping Leprechaun's you ain't switching.."
Screenshot_20230107_232023_Brave.jpg
My daughter did it for her college team. She better not transfer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez