Did I screw up my daughter's 1st base mitt?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
If I were in the market for a new 1B mitt for softball, it would 100%, without a doubt be a Rawlings DCT pattern baseball mitt!

In fact...this one!
I have no doubt about that!!! LOL

This is a hotly contested point that some people have a lot of energy around. I'm no expert, but in short, many people feel that baseball/softball gloves are basically interchangeable. The main difference being finger stall size.

Here are the Rawlings Pro Preferred PROSDCT (baseball) and PROSFM19SB (softball) side by side, right off the custom glove builder. Clearly, they are NOT the same pattern. Clearly, the Softball version has a much deeper web and larger pocket. The baseball version looks more padded, making it unnecessarily stiffer, but it was designed for catching a 90+ mph baseball thrown by a 25 year old SS. A grown man, with larger and stronger hands, probably has no issue using the baseball version catching the larger softballs.

Again, buy what you want, or more specifically, what your DD wants.... but I think some on here are projecting their wants on what their DDs actually "need"...

1673370038004.png

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I have no doubt about that!!! LOL

Here are the Rawlings Pro Preferred PROSDCT (baseball) and PROSFM19SB (softball) side by side, right off the custom glove builder. Clearly, they are NOT the same pattern. Clearly, the Softball version has a much deeper web and larger pocket. The baseball version looks more padded, making it unnecessarily stiffer, but it was designed for catching a 90+ mph baseball thrown by a 25 year old SS. A grown man, with larger and stronger hands, probably has no issue using the baseball version catching the larger softballs.

Again, buy what you want, or more specifically, what your DD wants.... but I think some on here are projecting their wants on what their DDs actually "need"...

View attachment 27185
Fair enough!

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
While I am not arguing that a baseball mitt is designed for a smaller ball, I am saying the mitt can be broken in for softball. If your daughter prefers the feel of the baseball mitt, go for it.

The two pictures are of my daughter's Liberty Advanced 1B mitt and my Rawlings GG Dick's series 1B baseball mitt. I bought the latter to catch for my daughter way back when she was throwing in the 40s. While the softball mitt is ever so slightly larger, the GG pocket is more than large enough to accommodate the larger softball. 20230110_123430.jpg20230110_123447.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06