1st base mitt question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2021
I have dug through the forums trying to find this answer and failed to do so. Is there a difference between a baseball 1st base mitt and a softball one? My daughter had her gear stolen a few months ago and has been using a borrowed mitt. We went around trying on gloves and she prefers the way the baseball ones fit to the softball. I recall hearing somewhere that both catchers and 1st base mitts are the only gloves that do not cross over between sports very well due to pocket depth.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I use a baseball catcher's mitt to catch my daughter. As long as you break it in with a softball, the pocket will form just fine. Before I switched to a catcher's mitt, I used a Rawlings baseball 1B mitt to catch for her. The pocket is more than deep enough to catch a softball.

I'll see if I still have the mitt. If so, I'll take a picture of it with a softball in it so you can see for yourself if it works.

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Generally, gloves/mitts specifically designed for softball do have deeper pockets to accommodate the larger ball. Some baseball & catchers / 1B mitts will work, particularly at the younger age groups. Go to Dick's and compare.

Feb 15, 2017
If you want to go with a softball one I have a brand new A200 that's about three years old that was never used and I'll make you a sweet deal on. It is black and white.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Nov 3, 2022
i don't notice any difference b/t SB and BB 1B mitts. only true diff, imho, is in the catcher's mitts.

May 17, 2012
i don't notice any difference b/t SB and BB 1B mitts. only true diff, imho, is in the catcher's mitts.

I notice every time a player with a "1B glove" drops one. Just use your regular glove. Meh.

In baseball I get it, in softball, I do not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad