CLOCKING YOUR DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I typically include a velocity session in most of my lessons where I will use radar on every pitch and tell the pitcher to let it fly, push the envelope. If a pitcher is overthrowing when she knows she's being 'gunned' then she needs to be exposed to it even more not less. I will also use radar on other pitches as a form of feedback. Knowledge of results (KR) is an integral part of motor skill acquisition whether it's radar readings or strike/ball ratio.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hide the radar gun.

It can be a measuring tool without being a mental influence.

Jul 19, 2021
I typically include a velocity session in most of my lessons where I will use radar on every pitch and tell the pitcher to let it fly, push the envelope. If a pitcher is overthrowing when she knows she's being 'gunned' then she needs to be exposed to it even more not less. I will also use radar on other pitches as a form of feedback. Knowledge of results (KR) is an integral part of motor skill acquisition whether it's radar readings or strike/ball ratio.
Thank you!!! Hard concept for some to grasp I guess.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Agree with being exposed to new things like radar gun and getting used to it.

adding,
if it is a mental influence getting used to it
... it can be used without pitchers knowing it is being used.
Can still get a comparison to when they know it's on...
and when they think it's off but hidden and on.

Friend of mine coach charts pitches for his team. Has extremely detailed information about following hitters with pitch location such. Every team they face he goes behind the plate and clocks the pitchers warming up.
Helpful tool.

Agree pitchers do need to get comfortable knowing they are timed!

Jun 27, 2021
Makes more sense to do both. A gun is a measuring tool, and long toss is a development/maintenance method
Sure, to some that may be ideal as a way to do it. Long toss is part of her throwing, benefit it gives an indicator of distance to speed by just throwing it (under control). Increase in distance, increase in power and end result typically is increase in speed. I've said from the start she hit her benchmark speeds as kid being gunned, early on at camps she was gunned and speeds given. Knowing her speed what does it do? She had under 300K and avg. 2K an inning last HS and swept through the accolades. Again, this works for mine as she's been in the circle a long time and as she wraps up her final HS year, she's not concerned about PR, she focused on repeating last years success then off to college. Not disagreeing with others and have no issue with guns, end results are what matters to her/us.

Jun 27, 2021
Agree with being exposed to new things like radar gun and getting used to it.

adding,
if it is a mental influence getting used to it
... it can be used without pitchers knowing it is being used.
Can still get a comparison to when they know it's on...
and when they think it's off but hidden and on.

Friend of mine coach charts pitches for his team. Has extremely detailed information about following hitters with pitch location such. Every team they face he goes behind the plate and clocks the pitchers warming up.
Helpful tool.

Agree pitchers do need to get comfortable knowing they are timed!
Great point on the adding. As kids get older and move into the higher level/recruitment/game scouting the radar is part of the game. Those that can block it out don't even know they are there and it's business as usual.

Jun 27, 2021
Same concept my daughters coach uses, work on exploding in the lower half, fast loose arm, let it fly and we will dial it. No gun though.
I do agree on the strike/ball ratio as good feedback on results. She dives into those numbers of K/H/BB as to where she is at.

Oct 4, 2018
Honestly my dd just got clocked for the first time in over a year. We switched pc. The old coach was once a month. The only thing my daughter cared about was what the gun said. She couldn’t make it out of the first inning. She was walking just as many an inning as she was striking out. New PC doesn’t get one out. Instead she focused on her mechanics telling her to trust the mechanics and speed will come. I’m sold on this now. Walks are now down to maybe 1 a game.Ks are way up as well. And guess what she’s gain 7mph in a year with this focus. 48mph to 55 as a 12u. Not going to complain.

"Regardless of how often you put a gun on a girl, it's always about mechanics." -- Captain Obvious

May 13, 2019
"Regardless of how often you put a gun on a girl, it's always about mechanics." -- Captain Obvious
True. But how many PCs are out there that don’t stress the mechanics. They stress speed. It took 2 years for us to realize what good mechanics were. Like another PC in our area guns every pitch, but doesn’t stress mechanics.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes