CLOCKING YOUR DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2021
True. But how many PCs are out there that don’t stress the mechanics. They stress speed. It took 2 years for us to realize what good mechanics were. Like another PC in our area guns every pitch, but doesn’t stress mechanics.
The progression of the pitcher is fun to watch once it clicks.
Early on walks greater than the K
A year into into the walks drop and K's almost equal
2-3 years later the K's over take the BB 12U age
By 16U-18U the K/BB 5+/1

All goes back to foundation, mechanics and growth. Mine had a similar path like what you stated earlier.

May 13, 2019
The progression of the pitcher is fun to watch once it clicks.
Early on walks greater than the K
A year into into the walks drop and K's almost equal
2-3 years later the K's over take the BB 12U age
By 16U-18U the K/BB 5+/1

All goes back to foundation, mechanics and growth. Mine had a similar path like what you stated earlier.
It is fun to watch. Just a little hard to remember where they can from sometimes. It’s even better to watch videos from when they first started to where they are now. Just glad to be along for the ride.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
True. But how many PCs are out there that don’t stress the mechanics. They stress speed. It took 2 years for us to realize what good mechanics were. Like another PC in our area guns every pitch, but doesn’t stress mechanics.

DD's PC stressed this. He still won't talk speed with DD because she's still fine tuning her mechanics and spin. He challenges her to work as fast as possible, but there is almost no real focus on a MPH number. "Once she's got mechanics and spin, then we'll milk every ounce of velocity out of her".

We use the gun at home simply as a measuring metric. One of many. As the mechanics improve the velocity should increase. It's also a moving goal/benchmark to incentive her to be explosive and fast. But we don't solely chase a number, if that makes sense.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
It is fun to watch. Just a little hard to remember where they can from sometimes. It’s even better to watch videos from when they first started to where they are now. Just glad to be along for the ride.

I have a private YouTube page dedicated to DD's pitching and hitting. Has videos from her first tournament at 10u all the way through last Fall (started 14u). The difference is incredible. Still a long journey ahead but the visual reminder is essential.

Jun 27, 2021
DD's PC stressed this. He still won't talk speed with DD because she's still fine tuning her mechanics and spin. He challenges her to work as fast as possible, but there is almost no real focus on a MPH number. "Once she's got mechanics and spin, then we'll milk every ounce of velocity out of her".

We use the gun at home simply as a measuring metric. One of many. As the mechanics improve the velocity should increase. It's also a moving goal/benchmark to incentive her to be explosive and fast. But we don't solely chase a number, if that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
One thing I forgot to mention. After a velocity session I will sometimes challenge the pitcher by asking her to throw 5 straight strikes at 1 or 2 mph off her best for that day.

Jan 28, 2017
I think kids that get to pitch in a facility that displays the speed of every pitch would be great. We live in the sticks and pulling out the radar gun does mess with most kids. I like to use the gun with the change and other pitches to get some separation.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
1) He still won't talk speed with DD because she's still fine tuning her mechanics and spin. . "Once she's got mechanics and spin, then we'll milk every ounce of velocity out of her".

2) As the mechanics improve the velocity should increase.
1) I would run from this instructor

2) agree

How do you know her mechanics are improving without this simple tool?

I started gunning my kid at 11, and we would try a technique from others, and if it did not make him faster, we discarded it. At 14 and 140 lbs., he was throwing 90.

All that to say that most things PC say are nonsense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45