CLOCKING YOUR DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 4, 2015
How often do you guys clock your DD pitching? Haven't had the pocket radar very long and have just played around with it clocking overhand throws on both of us and getting a base line on some exit velocities. Taking a little break from pitching. I want to clock her enough to keep her from tightening up whenever a pitching coach or college coach pulls out a radar, but not so much that speed is the only focus. Looking for suggestions on how others use the radar as a tool for improvement. Thanks

Sep 19, 2018
First winter practice beginning her 2nd year 10u. About 6 weeks later she was humming (for her anyway). Throwing noticeably harder. PC and I looked at each other and said, "Next week, lets see where she is at." Next week she was throwing 5mph slower than her first winter workout. DD, "I am tired, i was on the trampoline for 3 hours today."

2 years later, first winter workout 2nd year 12U (about a month ago) is the next time we pulled out the Pocket Radar.

Jan 6, 2018
Every pitch for DD. My students too. At first they can be tense about it and overthrow, but it's eventually just a constant feedback that they learn to appreciate. We use the smart coach on a tripod so the app is always yelling at them. It helps me coach them and they themselves because it tells us where their effort is at the entire practice. They have benchmarks on the wall so when the flip, or K, etc. isn't where we want it we can adjust. Sometimes if they are tired or something and the speed is way off we'll turn it off and just work spin/location, because they can become noticeably frustrated with the slow speeds.

Back when all I had was a handheld we only used it for the weekly "speed test." Maybe also when we were working on something specific like a change-up.

Sep 3, 2015
Almost never, PC would do it every once and a while and so would the TB/college coaches.

While I was waiting for the magical 60mph, and wanted to clock her regularly ,it was a bit anti-climactic when it happened.

College coaches care for sure, but other than wanting to see DD hit 60, I never put an emphasis on it. Get outs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 18, 2019
We use it about half the time. I find it most useful for tracking progress and dialing in the speed of the change. It was especially fun 10U to 12U as she grew and it felt like we were adding a mph per month. We also noted speed and form were correlated with better drop on the ball equalling more speed which is a win win. I have a rule though that I always ask permission and if she doesn't feel like being clocked that day, it stays in the case.

Oct 29, 2019
Every time we pitch, but I just got my first pocket radar a few months ago:)

It's good feedback.

I find it especially interesting to see how she does day to day. When she is worn out from other activities she can lose 4-5 mph on speed pitches. It helps emphasize the importance of rest and nutrition.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Every time we pitch, but I just got my first pocket radar a few months ago:)

It's good feedback.

I find it especially interesting to see how she does day to day. When she is worn out from other activities she can lose 4-5 mph on speed pitches. It helps emphasize the importance of rest and nutrition.
Props To Paying attention!!! 👍
Goals and achievements!!!

Jul 19, 2021
How often do you guys clock your DD pitching? Haven't had the pocket radar very long and have just played around with it clocking overhand throws on both of us and getting a base line on some exit velocities. Taking a little break from pitching. I want to clock her enough to keep her from tightening up whenever a pitching coach or college coach pulls out a radar, but not so much that speed is the only focus. Looking for suggestions on how others use the radar as a tool for improvement. Thanks
DD is a Jr in HS now. We rarely clocked her through the years but if i had to do it over I would clock her every session from 12u forward. There is a lot to be learned from knowing the effects of different mechanical adjustments. It will also keep them from getting lazy during bullpens. It will also give them goals to keep the bullpens productive instead of them just going through the motions to finish the 45 minutes. It teaches them to push through when they are tired because they instantly see what happens if they try to take it easy. So many benefits to using a pocket radar.

I would get the Pocket Radar Smart Display or the JUGS Cube so she can see it after every pitch.

Oct 4, 2018
About every other Tourney and two or three times a month or so in the backyard.

Tourneys: I think everyone knows that the PR in a Tourney and the PR in the backyard are usually different. So I like to clock in both environments.

I will pull out the pocket radar when it seems noticeably different from her norm, in either direction. Usually it's from an improvement in mechanics at lessons.

I'm not overly concerned about using it too much or too little. She'll improve through hard work and I don't feel how often I clock her will change her progression. I feel girls and parents that have been pitching for years can tell when there's a bit more zip on it or it feels flat.

Nov 4, 2015
About every other Tourney and two or three times a month or so in the backyard.

Tourneys: I think everyone knows that the PR in a Tourney and the PR in the backyard are usually different. So I like to clock in both environments.

I will pull out the pocket radar when it seems noticeably different from her norm, in either direction. Usually it's from an improvement in mechanics at lessons.

I'm not overly concerned about using it too much or too little. She'll improve through hard work and I don't feel how often I clock her will change her progression. I feel girls and parents that have been pitching for years can tell when there's a bit more zip on it or it feels flat.
I can tell when it doesn't look right. It's a running joke that if you want to see my kid throw harder, wait until the pitching coach puts the radar away. She obviously throws harder!