barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
The best decision I have made so far, is to pick a method that you think would best fit your DD's attributes in her swing and stick to it. Don't try and blend it with anything else. Go all out. Some may disagree, just my .02 on what has worked for me and my DD so far.

clemenslee1, You nailed it !! All the patterns discussed here work but not compatible so parents following along pick one and get after it..

A good example of this was Work=wins daughter.. She has a high-level movement pattern but it didn't match with another pattern and was ripped.. Luckily for his daughter he stayed the course.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
It's not hard to see that there is a lot of disagreement in how the members here think pros swing. Heck, there are over 3000 posts in this thread alone... What you will notice if you watch long enough is that most of the people in this forum are looking for many of the same key aspects. Yes, we use different terminology. And, yes, we may prescribe different ways to accomplish those aspects. But in most cases those aspects are nearly all the same. All you have to do is look at the hitter's that we ALL gravitate towards; Bonds, Pujols, Trout, etc. etc. I don't remember any of the posters in this thread claiming any of these players suck. There's a reason for that...

Examples:
  • None of us want to transfer too much weight to the front leg before it is necessary. Each poster can define the bolded words on their own...
  • All of us want to square up the ball as often as possible.
  • All of us want to create a timing window that allows us to hit fastballs and adjust to off speed.
  • All of us believe that the barrel initially travels down in an arc that flattens out at some point to meet up with the ball. Not too steep in either direction...
If you can accomplish these things with your hitters., you don't need help from anyone in this forum.
Bingo!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I get it, its easy to see why it could be a blend of all of this. IMO, thats because the 2 main methads being discussed (1 legged TTB etc., 2 legged ,Down to etc.) are not as far apart and opposed as made out to be. Are there differences, of course? I have noticed since choosing the method I think is the best fit, is quite similar in many ways,

Shhh... Be careful who you say that in front of. I have been saying it for years and have been chastised because of it ;)

Just don't start making comparisons to that guy on twitter whom I won't name... Lol!!

Jun 8, 2016
Go out, and try to hit consistent infield and outfield fungos...and you'll immediately understand why this is probably more true than not.
I am pretty good..only thing I have never mastered is hitting popups to the catcher...On a side note, one of the more cringeworthy things I see when I go to my DD's games is when I see coaches hitting fungoes with 1 hand...ARGGGH

Apr 11, 2015
I am pretty good..only thing I have never mastered is hitting popups to the catcher...On a side note, one of the more cringeworthy things I see when I go to my DD's games is when I see coaches hitting fungoes with 1 hand...ARGGGH
Ditto.

EDIT: I was guilty of the one-handed fungos on the little field. Just found it easier to take something off the ball that way vs trying to dang near "swing bunt" with two hands on the bat. I also didn't want it to possibly ruin my two-handed game swing mechanics if I was ever going to reach the "Bigs". :p

Jun 8, 2016
EDIT: I was guilty of the one-handed fungos on the little field.
nPL69u5.gif

:LOL: I will admit trying to hit them normally to my 5 YO son is difficult..that is until he wants to get 300 feet away (we play on a slowpitch field) and have me hit them that way at which point I pray that he gets nowhere near the ball...

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
nPL69u5.gif

:LOL: I will admit trying to hit them normally to my 5 YO son is difficult..that is until he wants to get 300 feet away (we play on a slowpitch field) and have me hit them that way at which point I pray that he gets nowhere near the ball...
Apologies for being an idiot, but why is one handed a bad thing? i just really dont know, thought the fungo was smaller so that it could be done one handed??

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaGranya