barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Feelings, swing thoughts or cues: Explosive, effortless power, release, throw, canoe going over the waterfall, crashing wave, hit with your body, tight turn and let the bat go by. Tried them all. They all work.

We don’t care about those. We wanna know if ‘bop the catcher on the head’ or ‘fall off the cliff’ or ‘around and along’ or ‘one leg’ works? ?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yes the barrel gets behind the ball but the path taken to back spin the ball is the control he had for the first time in his career. They are going up there with a mind set of hitting the top half of the ball not just getting behind and trying to lift it. IOW's they are trying to avoid looping the barrel behind and swinging up on the ball.

MASQCEL.gif

uDHFqW2.gif

dxM8tbE.gif

Do you believe they are actually hitting the top half of the ball?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
P,

just say ‘uncle’.. I’ll stop. ?

Mudders,

you want them to ‘feel’ quick and explosive. But then you don’t care what a hitter feels ? Man it’s hard keeping up with your changes in direction !! They are QUICK AND EXPLOSIVE ???

1589230913800.gif

Is that FP playing QB?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Do you believe they are actually hitting the top half of the ball?

It doesn't always happen but yea they are aiming for the top half.. That was always my goal as well for line drives.. Missing are the homers or fly balls..

d5scIzv.png

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
P,

just say ‘uncle’.. I’ll stop. ?

Mudders,

you want them to ‘feel’ quick and explosive. But then you don’t care what a hitter feels ? Man it’s hard keeping up with your changes in direction !! They are QUICK AND EXPLOSIVE ???

View attachment 17547

Is that FP playing QB?

I still remember that thanksgiving when he went off for something around 200 yards. The best to ever play,

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Their practicing a different hand and barrel path. They have the hands cutting and sliding forward. Hands are getting ahead of the body.

If you go back to the very first post of this thread, none of these actions are present in the swing. The hands stay back and the barrel is turned deep. There is no hands to the ball that you are showing.

BTW, Cruz has high hands and says he swings down and through the ball. Many with a high back elbow or hands have had that approach. Swinging down is not good advice for every player.

Shawn stay with your pattern swinging live and report the results back please.

May 12, 2016
Nothing to be paranoid about, because your whole nonsensical post was out of the blue as some sort of response to me posting this to WW....
...and your question wrt anything TM was feeling or doing had/has nothing to do with it whatsoever.

But to answer your above direct question - "when buddy on twitter dumps the barrel to isolate hands, do you think this is the barrel path he is aiming for?" - How the hell should I know, why don't you ask him if you're that interested. Now if you're asking me if that's the "barrel path he is I'd be aiming for"....then the answer is absolutely not.

Clear enough or simple enough for you to understand now?
Wow you have a tough time answering a direct question. However in the end you finally managed.. and yes it would of been simple if you weren't preaching to me. Point to all of this is.. when somebody demos an action in isolation does not mean that's the finished product. So when AROD, Alex, Yelich, Trout etc all demo hands in isolation ("down to") it does not mean that's the finalized "barrel" path that we see in the game. FYB, Posture etc combined with "down to" results in the efficient and clean barrel path we see in the best in the game. Next time do yourself a favor and just answer the question.. speaking of nonsense ..SMH

BTW. I was asking for you opinion, that's why I said "Do you think...." wasn't asking for you to read his mind.. simple enough for you?

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Their practicing a different hand and barrel path. They have the hands cutting and sliding forward. Hands are getting ahead of the body.

If you go back to the very first post of this thread, none of these actions are present in the swing. The hands stay back and the barrel is turned deep. There is no hands to the ball that you are showing.

BTW, Cruz has high hands and says he swings down and through the ball. Many with a high back elbow or hands have had that approach. Swinging down is not good advice for every player.
The hands are getting ahead of the body because they are missing sequence, posture, etc. The hands stay back in the entire swig process because he's in proper sequence. The drill helped CY because it taught how to strike the ball with very little waste(loop) in his swing, it taught him how to hammer the ball, drive the ball etc. It was efficient, his bat path created back spin.. it eliminated the hooks, top spin, the roll overs... resulted in line drives with back spin.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

This was a HR that sent the Astro's to the WS. This was a pitch on the outside coming from a lefty (Chapman). It was hit over the LC fence. You can pull an outside pitch if it's up a little, doesn't work so well if the pitch is down.

Is there early TTB or just a deeper HPP (hand pivot point)?

TDS

You either believe video or you don’t. There is no hands ahead of the body, cutting or sliding forward. If small guys are the best to look at, then this swing should be a good representation of an ideal swing.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atilbury