barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The hands are getting ahead of the body because they are missing sequence, posture, etc. The hands stay back in the entire swig process because he's in proper sequence. The drill helped CY because it taught how to strike the ball with very little waste(loop) in his swing, it taught him how to hammer the ball, drive the ball etc. It was efficient, his bat path created back spin.. it eliminated the hooks, top spin, the roll overs... resulted in line drives with back spin.

Who said loops are bad?

One of the first guys I studied was Dave Hudgens, he was teaching the same thing your saying back then.

So, I’ll ask you one question. How short is too short?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
It doesn't always happen but yea they are aiming for the top half.. That was always my goal as well for line drives.. Missing are the homers or fly balls..

d5scIzv.png

So this is a case where the "feel" truly isnt "real". Its hard to tell the difference sometimes...

In full disclosure my focus was always the line marked as backspin. However, backspin is another of those myths that we can discuss at another time.

I dont care for where they placed the optimal line...

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
P,

just say ‘uncle’.. I’ll stop. ?

Mudders,

you want them to ‘feel’ quick and explosive. But then you don’t care what a hitter feels ? Man it’s hard keeping up with your changes in direction !! They are QUICK AND EXPLOSIVE ???

View attachment 17547

Is that FP playing QB?

I'm a Cowboys fan but it is hard not to respect Sanders. My daughter shook hands with him once. My wife is a Broncos fan so we were in Canton for John Elway's induction. Sanders was part of the same class. We were standing outside before the ceremony and I was holding DD. She was 4 at the time. Sanders walked over, said hi, and shook her hand. She still talks about it.

Nov 16, 2017
Thanks for that answer. I remember Yelich couldn't accomplish it at first, and it wasn't until he saw Barry do it by example that he know it was possible (objective), and he was then able to put the ball in the prescribed locations as well w/o additional instruction (but I might have misremembered that part).

To your question wrt "hands to the ball" being the same as swinging down to...no, not necessarily...simply an example of a vague, subjectively worded and common hitting cue.

My point is that it was far more difficult trying to teach a hitter a "feeling" vs simply teaching them a something they can see if they're doing correctly or not in video.

I suppose if I was a drama instructor then teaching someone to "feel" something so they can "act" that way might be beneficial, but as a hitting coach I'm more concerned about their actual movements, and mechanics than I am about how or what they "feel" while doing them.

What if not everyone thinks like you do? That is the problem. There are players out there that only get the "feel" stuff. If you cram supinate your forearm and adduct your upper arm you might as well be speaking Chinese to some kids. You should learn how and why the "feel" queues work for the pros. Once you truly understand that then you can teach both the technical supination stuff and the "you should feel like you are" stuff. Don't limit yourself.

If like me in your quest to understand why, I mean truly understand, no agenda driven but an earnest seeking, you may be won over to what the pros are talking about. I was.

Nov 16, 2017
Their practicing a different hand and barrel path. They have the hands cutting and sliding forward. Hands are getting ahead of the body.

If you go back to the very first post of this thread, none of these actions are present in the swing. The hands stay back and the barrel is turned deep. There is no hands to the ball that you are showing.

BTW, Cruz has high hands and says he swings down and through the ball. Many with a high back elbow or hands have had that approach. Swinging down is not good advice for every player.

They are showing the palm up chop. Also seen in Samurai chops. Change the angle and that is the second half of the swing.

The down to is the action of getting the knob to forward to bat lag position as fast as possible. Down to creates the shortest path to the bat lag position. It also keeps you inside the ball so you are not hitting around it. This is accomplished not by turning the barrel but by pulling with the lead arm using the core. The top hands job is direction and a stop to dumping the barrel.

Get to bat lag and then chop chop chop. Takes the loop out. Makes you direct.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
They are showing the palm up chop. Also seen in Samurai chops. Change the angle and that is the second half of the swing.

The down to is the action of getting the knob to forward to bat lag position as fast as possible. Down to creates the shortest path to the bat lag position. It also keeps you inside the ball so you are not hitting around it. This is accomplished not by turning the barrel but by pulling with the lead arm using the core. The top hands job is direction and a stop to dumping the barrel.

Get to bat lag and then chop chop chop. Takes the loop out. Makes you direct.

samurai sadaharu !!? Is that you?

May 12, 2016
Who said loops are bad?

One of the first guys I studied was Dave Hudgens, he was teaching the same thing your saying back then.

So, I’ll ask you one question. How short is too short?
See James's post #2,946 .. don't think I can explain it any better than that

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atilbury