barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
2hoQ5IE.gif

Mig talked about getting the bat on plane as quickly as possible when he did this demonstration. Do this move at full speed, with a wood bat, and you get the barrel turning rearward behind the shoulder and then arcing into the swing plane, transitioning from forearm axle to palm-up/palm-down. One of the problems with slo-mo demos is that the rotational forces of a heavy bat being swung at full speed change things dramatically.

Oct 2, 2017
Mig talked about getting the bat on plane as quickly as possible when he did this demonstration. Do this move at full speed, with a wood bat, and you get the barrel turning rearward behind the shoulder and then arcing into the swing plane, transitioning from forearm axle to palm-up/palm-down. One of the problems with slo-mo demos is that the rotational forces of a heavy bat being swung at full speed change things dramatically.

Exactly @Eric F. That what I was trying to explain about the Bonds Gifs

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Keeping the barrel up and barrel path are not the same thing unless you plan on hitting the ball with the knob...right ;) ? Like I said before most hitters "feel" hitting in their hands so it makes sense that they describe what their hands are doing, including the feel of keeping the barrel above the hands during the initial portion of the swing. Before all this internet BS, e.g. when I was growing up, good hitters were described as having quick hands, fast hands, etc. Hands centric descriptions have been around a long time.

Um yes they are. Keeping it up initially takes the loop out or makes the loop as small as possible. Which also keeps the barrel path as close to the hand path as possible. Straight lines... the knob to with the barrel up is a pro hand path and barrel path.

Jun 8, 2016
Um yes they are. Keeping it up initially takes the loop out or makes the loop as small as possible. Which also keeps the barrel path as close to the hand path as possible. Straight lines... the knob to with the barrel up is a pro hand path and barrel path.
It is part of it (which is why I said "not exactly") but in order to get the HL barrel path other things need to be accomplished with the rest of body which the pros are not talking about.

Edit: Here is the deal. The pros don't have to teach anybody so they leave stuff out and just describe what they feel is most important. I don't blame them, that isn't their job. The rest of us have to make sure that what we say/teach results in the barrel path/swing that we want. I hope everybody in this thread accomplishes that and we can all shut up about it :LOL:

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

‘you get on top of ball , Palm up and finish up.’ Nothing about getting on plane deep. He only speaks of the hands.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
You stated "The pros focus on the hands being direct. ". I'm asking, do those who hold to TTB, do they also believe and try to be direct to the ball as well? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you imply that if you are thinking TTB then you are not trying to be direct to the ball.

this is a loaded question. The body will do what it’s capable of doing. Remember when I said you can ‘yank’, ‘push’ or let the hands get ‘pulled’.

If you’re TTBing as a force and if your leverage point is your back leg. You will have to yank. If your leverage point is your front leg you will push. If your in the middle you will have to open up early to create leverage.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atilbury