barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
You do realize the very first move he makes here is the classic TTB move. Rear arm slotting, front arm getting up above the plane of the pitch.

What many folks have an issue with is how some demo this by not doing the first move BB is making.

So are you saying get into position like bonds states then ttb ?

WilWtlj.gif

Bonds barrel is floating while his hands are free to sort out needed direction based on what the pitch calls for.

3wLHMQV.gif

Jun 8, 2016
In regard to the comments about your DD and the head coach. First of all why was the coach trying to change her swing in the first place if she was hitting so many HR's? I've never seen a coach do that before unless she was popping up the majority of the time.
Not saying this is what happened here, and only N=1 sample size I know, but I've heard from a reliable source that OU's hitting coach tried to get Jocelyn Alo to change her swing after her freshmen year (the one where she tied the freshmen record for HR in a season) to the point where she ended up calling Lauren Chamberlain and telling her she had forgot how to hit (which may explain her sitting out a whole weekend in 2019 for a "mental break" ). Unfortunately some coaches don't know enough to leave a good thing alone sometimes... ?‍♂️

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017

WilWtlj.gif

Bonds barrel is floating while his hands are free to sort out needed direction based on what the pitch calls for.

3wLHMQV.gif

I think he stating (I could be wrong), is that very first move you can see his top hand and bottom hands start to flatten out. Which if continued in context with everything else working in the swing, you would turn the barrel and the barrel would pivot arround the hands. Its impossible to do the action that bond is showing, with the hands starting to flatten out first,then to all of a sudden do a hammering action. IMO

I should have also added that the hands flatten out with the slotting of the elbow. which would aid with early barrel turn to start around the hands.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I think he stating (I could be wrong), is that very first move you can see his top hand and bottom hands start to flatten out. Which if continued in context with everything else working in the swing, you would turn the barrel and the barrel would pivot arround the hands. Its impossible to do the action that bond is showing, with the hands starting to flatten out first,then to all of a sudden do a hammering action. IMO

I should have also added that the hands flatten out with the slotting of the elbow. which would aid with early barrel turn to start around the hands.

Are you referring to the change in direction of the barrel ?

L0trsSw.gif

EKYownY.gif

NkcMyxs.gif

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017

WilWtlj.gif

3wLHMQV.gif

"Sorry, I guess we are much further apart in cause/effect then I thought. One is forcing action on the barrel behind him while the other is allowing the barrel to lag behind until leveraged so the hands/barrel are being pulled". TDS

This first move by BB and Antonelli looks real close to me.

Attachments

• gphrSbI.gif
    gphrSbI.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Are you referring to the change in direction of the barrel ?

L0trsSw.gif

EKYownY.gif

EKYownY.gif

This is not even close to the previous GIF that you shared. Not even the same starting action. You cannot compare the two. Look at the hands in the first Gif you shared and compare to this one.

Oct 2, 2017
Another good example.. Try this and see if you can do it without focusing on ttb.

ppX39NF.gif

Dont have anythings available to try right now, but I don't see how you wouldnt make a conscious effort to create the initial turn of the barrel. And in game context I don't think you would be able to change barrel directions like he is doing here slowly. If anything it seems to me that action he is performing, would be trying to keep the barrel above the hands in a full swing. Why because the barrel will go below the hands simply by forces generated. So he could be adjusting from getting to loopy on his swing.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
This is not even close to the previous GIF that you shared. Not even the same starting action. You cannot compare the two. Look at the hands in the first Gif you shared and compare to this one.

Clemenslee, can you show me one high level hitter (We know AJ doesn't match) matching while attempting to ttb vs swing down to like all the players are talking about.

This doesn't match either.

ZR3yDY5.gif

Oct 2, 2017
Clemenslee, can you show me one high level hitter (We know AJ doesn't match) matching while attempting to ttb vs swing down to like all the players are talking about.

This doesn't match either.

ZR3yDY5.gif
Your trying to divert, because you have Bonds doing 2 different things. in you r Gifs. Matt is a little loose with a little bit of his actions, for example his head pulling out, is way off. But the early barrel turn behind is what I see in the infamous Pujols swing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwales