barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Isn't that what he was trying to explain in the video in post #194? In his opinion the other aspect of HL which takes the down to aspect to down to and up through is swinging from 1 leg. Now you may not agree with that but he was doing what you asked was he not?
Exactly why I have posted this previously. It was the best explanation I have seen for "down to" and how it's incorporated into the swing. What I like is that he demos the down to exactly how the pros demo it.

Jul 29, 2013
Useless only because it doesn't fit with what you have been taught by Rich.. The craziness of late is the mlb's and former disputing the pattern... For the longest time some of us felt like we were alone.

The 3 hitters Rich worked with are the only 3 to match what he teaches.. It works but not what the best do.

WilWtlj.gif
Yes I recently discovered this(for myself!). Tilt is the missing link for TTB and down to reconciliation. (Pujols et al never mention tilt, julray, does this mean we shouldnt do it? ?)

Bonds alludes to how pro's/natural hitters take tilt for granted. Watch ~ 7 minutes to 830 or 9 he explains it. It's easy for him to just tilt and smash.

I think this makes "down to" the high level swing/feel(in reference to another recent topic). Like you said, you have to have all that other stuff going on.

That being said, TTB can/will work for lots and lots of young hitters as I think it gets them to do alot of the things elite hitters take for granted by reacting to the position the bat gets in by TTB.

Bonds recounts his dad giving him swing instructions in the dug out mid game. If Barry is so self aware, and knows exactly how he swings, why didn't he know what he was doing wrong and fix it? Was his "feel" wrong? WTH??? After all, he's a pro, right?

Feb 25, 2020
Bonds recounts his dad giving him swing instructions in the dug out mid game. If Barry is so self aware, and knows exactly how he swings, why didn't he know what he was doing wrong and fix it? Was his "feel" wrong? WTH??? After all, he's a pro, right?

Its hard to imagine Bonds making a bad swing isnt it!

May 12, 2016
Isn't that what he was trying to explain in the video in post #194? In his opinion the other aspect of HL which takes the down to aspect to down to and up through is swinging from 1 leg. Now you may not agree with that but he was doing what you asked was he not?
Fair enough, then why focus on TTB? Why not focus on what the best in the game practice? And this Bs about they didn’t understand how they swing down? Of course they do, they are only isolating hand path in their demos and many of their drills. Making it simple for all the amateurs looking at their video that pros really focus on down to.

Jun 8, 2016
And this Bs about they didn’t understand how they swing down? Of course they do, they are only isolating hand path in their demos and many of their drills. Making it simple for all the amateurs looking at their video that pros really focus on down to.
This I am not sure of for some/many tbh. The hands hold the bat and are going to the main "feel sensors" for many hence this is the action which is most felt by them. If they are not talking about something you cannot assume the action is conscious, right?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Post 194 should tell folks that Rich is trying to duplicate the movements by excluding multiple core movements...

He continues to talk about 1 leg vs 2 because of the way he moves.. All his movements happen in the frontal plane.. His 2 legged description is really 1 legged but its the front leg.. He is unable to move forward (towards) the pitcher without compromising the the rear leg hip relationship.. Why is that ?? Forget about the rear leg/hip relationship early in the sequence and allow it to happen later in the sequence naturally. His obsession with the rear leg/hip coil prevents his body to move naturally.. IOW's the rear leg/hip relationship shouldn't matter until later in the fyb sequence.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Post 194 should tell folks that Rich is trying to duplicate the movements by excluding multiple core movements...

He continues to talk about 1 leg vs 2 because of the way he moves.. All his movements happen in the frontal plane.. His 2 legged description is really 1 legged but its the front leg.. He is unable to move forward (towards) the pitcher without compromising the the rear leg hip relationship.. Why is that ?? Forget about the rear leg/hip relationship early in the sequence and allow it to happen later in the sequence naturally. His obsession with the rear leg/hip coil prevents his body to move naturally.. IOW's the rear leg/hip relationship shouldn't matter until later in the fyb sequence.

yep.

Jul 29, 2013
The pros aren't self aware as you might expect.
They aren't focusing on how to swing the bat in game. The pitchers are good and if your focus is on your swing and not the ball, then you'll be out of the big league in short order.
Ever heard of a black out swing?
The pro swing is an unconcious reaction.
Many of them talk and practice down to because that's what they were taught. Many coaches take credit for creating swings that they had no hand in. After years of being told down to and being reinforced that, if successful they must be swinging down to, they're all brainwashed.
I've seen it happen.
Had a coach getting after my dd telling her to hit down because she hit too many fly balls. After she hit the ball out, she asked him, "If I don't hit it in the air, how's it going to go over the fence?" After that, he shut up and she went on to get better at swinging as hard as she could and better at hitting all pitch locations and launching them over the fence and getting scholarship offers.
And suddenly.....THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES!

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Fair enough, then why focus on TTB? Why not focus on what the best in the game practice? And this Bs about they didn’t understand how they swing down? Of course they do, they are only isolating hand path in their demos and many of their drills. Making it simple for all the amateurs looking at their video that pros really focus on down to.
Better to hit the way they hit, rather than practice how they practice.
Practice what you need to to get the result. Otherwise you're literally practicing for the sake of practice.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atilbury