barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Down to..

LpMLa3c.gif

urOqWBf.gif

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
So the pros talk about "down to" but never mention TTB.
The pros assumeassume we understand "down to" includes FYB, leverage, and posture even though it's rarely mentioned.
When they are talking/isolating about hand path they talk about "down to", not TTB.

So how could they leave out the all important "tilt" in a "down to" instruction when it's the key to prevent driving the ball into the ground?
I guess they assume it happens in every swing.
That would be a good assumption, how else would you get your body into the proper position. And again because they are demoing hand path. If they added tilt,posture etc while demoing, people would be confused/mislead what they actually do with their hands, ;)

You notice the pros keep talking about "down to" above everything else? You have ask yourself why? Maybe because it's so very very important....

They are just demoing hand path, practicing hand path, talking about down to. I still can't believe you don't understand this. They are isolating a portion of their swing. TDS posted a side by side of Pujois.. how more clear can it be? In his practice drill he is just working on being direct and down to with his hands. You can see posture, leverage etc is missing from that practice swing.

Bonesaw mentions how TTB can help some. I won't dispute that, of course it can. Like I said right from the start, not here to convince anybody to change their coaching approach, lol. However I believe TTB is a shortcut/band-aid. Pro's get on plane early and stay through the ball by "down to", FYB sequence, establishing and maintaining posture etc.

My issue is people saying pros don't know what they are talking about, it's all just feel, not real. It's the type of arrogance I really can'y understand.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Yes I recently discovered this(for myself!). Tilt is the missing link for TTB and down to reconciliation. (Pujols et al never mention tilt, julray, does this mean we shouldnt do it? ?)

Bonds alludes to how pro's/natural hitters take tilt for granted. Watch ~ 7 minutes to 830 or 9 he explains it. It's easy for him to just tilt and smash.

I think this makes "down to" the high level swing/feel(in reference to another recent topic). Like you said, you have to have all that other stuff going on.

That being said, TTB can/will work for lots and lots of young hitters as I think it gets them to do alot of the things elite hitters take for granted by reacting to the position the bat gets in by TTB.

Too much to work with here.
ARod's representation of his swing isn't the swing he actually uses in the game.
His representation of "ferris wheel" isn't even close to the actual movement.
Bonds was taught by old school father. Bonds needed to not over bake his launch angle swing. He says he could naturally lift the ball and so he needed to be careful not to overdo it. He didn't strike out because he had a great bat path. He opens his front shoulder and tilts back against his front leg/heel. A lot of what he demonstrates and doesn't say shows how naturally he gets to the positions of his game swing. He always TTB to get on plane deep.
ARod, tell me how do I generate RBIs? I can only control myself. Wouldn't the best way to generate RBIs be to bat myself in as often as possible. Best way to do that..... hit er out!
These two are some really deep thinkers!
PS. nether one mentions the all important peds but we all recognize that goes without saying too, just a natural part that never needs mention, don't we!

Jul 29, 2013
When they are talking/isolating about hand path they talk about "down to", not TTB.

That would be a good assumption, how else would you get your body into the proper position. And again because they are demoing hand path. If they added tilt,posture etc while demoing, people would be confused/mislead what they actually do with their hands, ;)

You notice the pros keep talking about "down to" above everything else? You have ask yourself why? Maybe because it's so very very important....

They are just demoing hand path, practicing hand path, talking about down to. I still can't believe you don't understand this. They are isolating a portion of their swing. TDS posted a side by side of Pujois.. how more clear can it be? In his practice drill he is just working on being direct and down to with his hands. You can see posture, leverage etc is missing from that practice swing.

Bonesaw mentions how TTB can help some. I won't dispute that, of course it can. Like I said right from the start, not here to convince anybody to change their coaching approach, lol. However I believe TTB is a shortcut/band-aid. Pro's get on plane early and stay through the ball by "down to", FYB sequence, establishing and maintaining posture etc.

My issue is people saying pros don't know what they are talking about, it's all just feel, not real. It's the type of arrogance I really can'y understand.
You're misunderstanding believing what our eyes see for arrogance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hcm1940