barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
bGwQFVw.gif

Ted TTB
Wiliams-Ted-Rear-480x320_Load_highlight.gif

Jul 29, 2013
The intent to TTB by torquing the handle at "go" has been a significant part of the improvements in quickness and power (approx. 10%) I've seen from my DD over the past year.

It makes zero sense to me to wait for some other action to cause the barrel to pivot around the hands. Get the barrel turning ASAP, and continue to accelerate it though contact. A dragster doesn't wait to accelerate until halfway down the 1/4 mile. Torque the barrel, AND take advantage of gravity (turn the barrel down), AND use the centrifugal forces created by a turning torso.
No fence too far!

Jul 29, 2013
I consider TTB and tight hand pivot point as the same thing. To me the depth the barrel travels in this clip tells me everything I need to know. I'm sure others will say the same thing to support their beliefs. Funny how that works...
TTB...tight hand pivot.....the rear forearm is the axis. The bat is perpendicular to the rear forearm. Rear forearm/wrist supination. Deep barrel turn.
Some will say chopping and whipping also turn the barrel but the term came about to describe deep barrel path without arm extension. The bat accelerates early toward the catcher and then turns around the rear forearm into the ball path.

Jul 29, 2013
Yes. With great barrel depth. The difference with @julray's interpretation is that he isnt taking depth into consideration when he states that all swings include turn. There is a key difference. It is that depth that is important.
I focus on what the pros talk about and do.. otherwise we are just looking at videos and guessing... risky. I really don't give a shirt which method anybody prefers.. it's not MY method, it's the best hitters in the game that say, demo and do what I am talking about. TTB or some version of it has been around a long long time according to you.. yet the pros don't talk about it, they talk about "down to".
So the pros talk about "down to" but never mention TTB.
The pros assumeassume we understand "down to" includes FYB, leverage, and posture even though it's rarely mentioned.
So how could they leave out the all important "tilt" in a "down to" instruction when it's the key to prevent driving the ball into the ground?
I guess they assume it happens in every swing.

Feb 25, 2020
So the pros talk about "down to" but never mention TTB.
The pros assumeassume we understand "down to" includes FYB, leverage, and posture even though it's rarely mentioned.
So how could they leave out the all important "tilt" in a "down to" instruction when it's the key to prevent driving the ball into the ground?
I guess they assume it happens in every swing.

Yes I recently discovered this(for myself!). Tilt is the missing link for TTB and down to reconciliation. (Pujols et al never mention tilt, julray, does this mean we shouldnt do it? ?)

Bonds alludes to how pro's/natural hitters take tilt for granted. Watch ~ 7 minutes to 830 or 9 he explains it. It's easy for him to just tilt and smash.

I think this makes "down to" the high level swing/feel(in reference to another recent topic). Like you said, you have to have all that other stuff going on.

That being said, TTB can/will work for lots and lots of young hitters as I think it gets them to do alot of the things elite hitters take for granted by reacting to the position the bat gets in by TTB.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
TTB...tight hand pivot.....the rear forearm is the axis. The bat is perpendicular to the rear forearm. Rear forearm/wrist supination. Deep barrel turn.
Some will say chopping and whipping also turn the barrel but the term came about to describe deep barrel path without arm extension. The bat accelerates early toward the catcher and then turns around the rear forearm into the ball path.
The rear forearm/elbow helps create the rotational point of the hands. The hands are more important and I’ve seen hitters like David Wright and Bergman create the rotational point without the help of the back elbow/forearm.

Jul 29, 2013
The rear forearm/elbow helps create the rotational point of the hands. The hands are more important and I’ve seen hitters like David Wright and Bergman create the rotational point without the help of the back elbow/forearm.
So what's the action of David Wright's hands to create the axis?
I always thought the roll of the hands is to hold the bat.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Yes I recently discovered this(for myself!). Tilt is the missing link for TTB and down to reconciliation. (Pujols et al never mention tilt, julray, does this mean we shouldnt do it? ?)

Bonds alludes to how pro's/natural hitters take tilt for granted. Watch ~ 7 minutes to 830 or 9 he explains it. It's easy for him to just tilt and smash.

I think this makes "down to" the high level swing/feel(in reference to another recent topic). Like you said, you have to have all that other stuff going on.

That being said, TTB can/will work for lots and lots of young hitters as I think it gets them to do alot of the things elite hitters take for granted by reacting to the position the bat gets in by TTB.

Well said.
It just goes to show that the pros are so focused on the one thing that we rarely see them do, hit down, and they leave out really important stuff like tilt, without which, none of them are pros if all they do is hit down.
There are too many game swing videos out there with pros TTB, tilting, getting a deep bat path, and yet they baffle us by saying, hit down because of "feel."
Would someone please post a video where the interviewer asks the question, "What's it feel like you're doing? rather than, "What are you doing?"

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zs052805