As manager, what would you have done?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
I always thought the batter didn't have to move? The box is theirs and if they get hit in it, 1B is theirs.

I've only ever seen it denied once, when a batter leant into a pitch, and the ump took a lot of heat for that call.

Jan 15, 2009
If you were playing in a game with substitutions and Bat 9 only, the other team would have been allowed to sub for the injured player and assume the count. Usually when you bat the roster, an injured batter can be replaced at bat or on the bases by the next batter as long as that doesn't bring your lineup below 9. So what you suggested was the right call, but umpires get left high and dry inthese situations because tourney's rarely detail out all the ramifications of bat the roster so umpires get stuck trying to handle it be either A.) imposing the rules that would apply to the batter if there were no available sub .. i.e. batter out B.) treating another playing on the roster as an avialable sub .. i.e. assume the count

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I always thought the batter didn't have to move? The box is theirs and if they get hit in it, 1B is theirs.

I've only ever seen it denied once, when a batter leant into a pitch, and the ump took a lot of heat for that call.

Its my understanding that the batter has to make an attempt to get out of the way of a wild pitch. In my example, the batter stood there like a statue and the ball hit her. IMO, it was the correct call within the rules because she made no attempt to get out of the way. Earlier in the season I had that same call against my own team.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
This weekend I had a batter that made a 'small' attempt to move out of a way of a change up. I'll admit it was slow and she may have been able to completely move out of the way but she only made a minor attempt.

Umpire ruled it was too slow of a pitch and she should have moved - other coach was laughing and applauding

I was miffed -

for about 10 seconds -

next pitch she roped a line drive for a double. Umpire looks at me and says, "I knew she had that in her" - other coach stopped laughing.

May 8, 2008
Florida
Wait a minute, you are telling me that in a 10U softball game there was resistance to what you did?? You must be kidding (although you obviously are not ) I commend you for what you did, you acted in the true spirit of the game. The parents and opposite team managers should be made to view ( and i mean forced) the U Tube video of an opposition team carrying an injured player around the bases so she could get credit for her first career home run. That is what the sport is all about, not wins and losses at 10U competition..what a joke ....

Dec 28, 2008
I'm with Amy on this one ... I see way to many batters that just freeze like a deer in headlights who make zero effort to avoid the ball and yet they are awarded the base. Glad to see an umpire actually make the right call if with a precious little angel balling her eyes out because she'll never walk again. Not trying to be insensitive, but at some point they have to stop being "just girls" and become "ball players that just happen to be girls" and part of that transition has to be forced in tough times but it is good for their self esteem and is a great life lesson to persevere through tough time.

Nothing parents do when it comes to trying to win ever surprises me in general. If this was a political forum I'd probably say that people looking for handouts in general shouldn't surprise anyone anymore, but it isn't, so I won't.

I would have found the girl that got hit after the game and congratulated her for toughing it out and coming back in to the game. But I think you did the right thing for your team, and the right thing for that girl in the long run. She has to learn that you don't get what you want just by crying for it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207