Stuck in the outfield

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Now I wouldn't put Helen Keller on second, but it is "usually" my least talented infielder who gets the prize.

Oh I'm sure lots can relate to that one. :)

Last year one of our moms got to the fields early for a HS game. She had the crazy dad section roped off with yellow "caution" tape. We had our big rival school game that night, CAUTION really comes no where near describing the choas. I'm the only sane voice for miles.:eek:

You guys are the coaches who'll send a runner home to challenge my DD (2B taking cutoff from deep right) that gets the surprise. Once you get to 16U and above in travel ball, there aren't typically any weak arms, 2B or not. 2B probably also plays SS and outfield. At least on the better teams. I don't think you can discount any position on the field. They're all necessary.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
You guys are the coaches who'll send a runner home to challenge my DD (2B taking cutoff from deep right) that gets the surprise. Once you get to 16U and above in travel ball, there aren't typically any weak arms, 2B or not. 2B probably also plays SS and outfield. At least on the better teams.

Yep, that would be me. We were in a Triple Crown tourney in OK. Gold championship game against a team from TX. We were down by one run, our last at bat. Runner on 3rd, 1out. I'd been watching the 2b all game, hadn't made a decent play the whole time. My slapper hit a hard grounder to the second base side of the second baseman. Knowing she couldn't hose my fastest runner at first I sent my runner home for the tie. 2b made a beautiful diving catch and threw my runner out from her knees at home. Next batter flew out to CF. Game and tourney was over in a blink of an eye.

Took me about a year to get over that day and my judgement call. She couldn't have made that play again if she had 20 tries, but she did and was the hero that day!! :)

Nov 14, 2011
How am I being negative? Didn't say what you wanted, huh? Again, I am trying to give you some perspective. It is SOFTBALL and something that is something parents need to take a step back from and see the big pictures. Trust me, I am a parent and a coach and I know that.

If the coach PROMISED 2nd base and pitching and it is not happening, have your daughter talk to him. If it doesn't get better, then leave. I am sure there are teams that would love a pitcher/2b. You say your daughter specified the positions SHE wanted to play. There is a difference.

Look over many of the posts I have placed on this board. Many of them are to posters who ask questions and I give positive, reasonable responses. You didn't like what I said to you, so be it. I never called you a disgruntled parent, apparently someone else did. I wasn't disrespectful to you. Period.

Your quote "By the way, as for compassion. I have compassion for vets who return from war with severe injuries. I have compassion for people who are mourning lost loved ones. I don't waste compassion on disgruntled softball parents, sorry."

You calling me a "disgruntled softball parent" isn't being negative? Tell me how is that helping the situation that I am describing? Again take me, the parent, out of this. This isn't about me, never has been. The big picture is that my DD is not happy about her current playing situation.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Yep, that would be me. We were in a Triple Crown tourney in OK. Gold championship game against a team from TX. We were down by one run, our last at bat. Runner on 3rd, 1out. I'd been watching the 2b all game, hadn't made a decent play the whole time. My slapper hit a hard grounder to the second base side of the second baseman. Knowing she couldn't hose my fastest runner at first I sent my runner home for the tie. 2b made a beautiful diving catch and threw my runner out from her knees at home. Next batter flew out to CF. Game and tourney was over in a blink of an eye.

Took me about a year to get over that day and my judgement call. She couldn't have made that play again if she had 20 tries, but she did and was the hero that day!! :)

Sounds like a great game. You have to go with the odds, though, so not a bad call. My DD used to play SS and when she changed teams, the coach asked her to try 2B as her footwork was better than the other middle infielder's. She loves the position as she is involved in every play. She's fooled a couple of opposing coaches that figure since she's at 2B and small she didn't have an arm. I know it's not the norm on every team. She played mostly 2B for four years. Her team disbanded and her new team has 5 girls capable of playing mid-infield. They all rotate between 2B, SS and OF so all of them get equal exposure. I hear that college coaches tend to look at SS and OF before 2B. She doesn't really care where she plays as long as she's on the field. In high school, she pitches, plays 2B, SS and 3B. Hopefully, the OP daughter will come to appreciate all of the positions on the field and will be happy just to play.

Oct 2, 2012
I still think we know which age group. If we're talking 10U, I can see where playing OF would feel like a punishment. Younger hitters aren't driving balls to the OF like they will later on. As the age groups go up, the importance of the OF goes up too. My daughters 12U team has the 3 strongest/fastest athletes in the OF when winning is important.

If your DD continues to pitch full games and also is playing the OF, I hardly think it's worth bringing it up to the coach. If she can't look past the OF as being a negative, that's her issue to deal with on her own. No pitchers can pitch every game every tournament. Maybe she proved herself at that last game.

Mar 1, 2012
This has been an interesting read. We could start a new thread called - CRAZY AND OUT OF CONTROL THREADS - and put this one in it. OP used poor words, admitted to it but yet still is paying for it. She just wants help with her daughter who is frustrated playing the outfield. As a coach all I want to hear from is the player asking what she can do to "earn" more time at the desired position. We create a plan and if she works hard at it she wins! Part of the plan may be to help train her replacement. A leadership position is then sometimes created.

Going into fall, I asked all the players to stand where they want to play, putting summer positions aside. My 12yo DD was the only one to go to OF and said "so can I pick which OF position since no one else wants it or is it all mine?"

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2012
As I said, I understand wanting help. I am willing to forget the poor choice of words. I think everyone ( including me) gave advice. I hope the daughter always gets to play where she wants.

Apr 6, 2012
Your quote "By the way, as for compassion. I have compassion for vets who return from war with severe injuries. I have compassion for people who are mourning lost loved ones. I don't waste compassion on disgruntled softball parents, sorry."

You calling me a "disgruntled softball parent" isn't being negative? Tell me how is that helping the situation that I am describing? Again take me, the parent, out of this. This isn't about me, never has been. The big picture is that my DD is not happy about her current playing situation.

This is the definition of disgruntled: feeling or expressing discontent or anger

I would think that this accurately portrayed the emotion you discussed in your post. I wasn't being negative, just using a word to describe what you appeared to be, a disgruntled parent. Take it as you will. For me, this discussion is over. Hopefully you have discovered some ways to handle this even from " negative ":rolleyes: posters such as myself.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA