Stuck in the outfield

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
We had a team break up in our area... one of DD's best friends was left without a team. When DD's HC heard, he offered a private tryout. Then quite frankly told her where he would be able to use her. He also made instant improvement in her hitting equipment, and that tryout became inspiration. Her & Dad didn't want to play the positions, and declined the offer. They were very grateful for the honestly, and bought the recommended bat. She went from there encouraged to keep trying out, and made another team. DD played them in a friendly, and they beat us last Sat.

I don't buy the your the best we got at any position. My DD can play all positions. It would go without saying that she is the best @ 1st base, but she has never played there. Sounds like poor recruiting.
Also take this opportunity to teach your DD the term for "being stuck" is pigeon holed. Athletes get it worse than all the others. What makes it tough is Athletes know better than others who can play and who can't. They can even easily pick them out on the other teams they play too.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I recruit players for positions, I can tell you that my absolute last position of importance is second base. I'm not being mean and hope I don't offend anyone on the board. I recruit on pitchers/catchers then left infield then outfield. So to me the OF is very important.

While I will agree that 2B is a good place to play a girl with a weak arm, she had better have some range and a gold glove! With the pitching we have, 60-70% of ground balls go to the right side of the infield (especially if you take out the bunts down the 3B line).

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I was stuck out in the outfield...when my DD said, "Dad, stop making a fool of yourself. Go somewhere that people can't see you."

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
While I will agree that 2B is a good place to play a girl with a weak arm, she had better have some range and a gold glove! With the pitching we have, 60-70% of ground balls go to the right side of the infield (especially if you take out the bunts down the 3B line).

Now I wouldn't put Helen Keller on second, but it is "usually" my least talented infielder who gets the prize.

I was stuck out in the outfield...when my DD said, "Dad, stop making a fool of yourself. Go somewhere that people can't see you."

Oh I'm sure lots can relate to that one. :)

Last year one of our moms got to the fields early for a HS game. She had the crazy dad section roped off with yellow "caution" tape. We had our big rival school game that night, CAUTION really comes no where near describing the choas. I'm the only sane voice for miles.:eek:

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2012
Got to love the compassion.....

Let me address some of the questions that have come up. I won't specifically direct this to anyone, the "haters" know who they are.

Maybe I didn't address this correctly, my bad, but I will say this. The phrase "stuck in the outfield" is my DD's words to me on the way home from the tournament yesterday, not mine. So you can attack me as being a complainer, or a whiner as someone else has posted but it isn't the case. I am asking a question that concerns my DD specifically on her behalf. Maybe I should have posted "stuck in a certain position" so that I didn't upset some of the posters here who have DD's who play outfield. That wasn't and isn't my position.

If your DD wants to play PICK THE POSITION, ANY POSITION, and isn't getting any playing time there, and SHE isn't happy about it, what is the best way to address the situation? My DD has played 2nd base most of her travel time so far. That is what she loves to do. She does not love the outfield. With that being said she says she doesn't mind playing in the outfield, just not every game. Last weekend it was every game, that was the reason for my post.

In the coach's defense there are a couple of players who are a little on the slow side and the coach wants to minimize the problems that occur when a ball is hit in the outfield. I understand that, but every game? My DD is decent speed and a good glove with a great arm. I understand why the coach puts her in the outfield, but she doesn't enjoy it as much as playing her natural position at 2nd base.

So for all the negative comments about me being just another "Wacko parent", thanks, much appreciated. The words came from my daughter, not me. I am just trying to help her play the position SHE wants. I don't care where she plays, period. She wants to pitch more and play more at 2nd base, period.

First, if she is upset, have HER talk to the coach and ask something like, " Coach, what can I work on to get more time in the circle ( or at second base.)."

Second, think about what the coach said when he put her on the team. Did he say which positions she would play? If not, then perhaps you and your daughter assumed something that wasn't part of his plans.

Finally, would say ( as an educator and coach of thirty years) that part of the problem with kids in general is that mom or dad is always working to get the kid "what she wants." How about teaching them about the importance of what is good for the team? Of course your daughter wants to pitch and play second. If that is not what the team needs right now, should she just pack it up and leave or should she hang in there? I guess the answer depends on which lessons are the most important. I agree that a pitcher needs to pitch, but I can't imagine a coach keeping a great pitcher out of the circle. As for second base, again, if she is that great there I can't see a coach not using her there. Period.

By the way, as for compassion. I have compassion for vets who return from war with severe injuries. I have compassion for people who are mourning lost loved ones. I don't waste compassion on disgruntled softball parents, sorry.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
First, if she is upset, have HER talk to the coach and ask something like, " Coach, what can I work on to get more time in the circle ( or at second base.)."

Second, think about what the coach said when he put her on the team. Did he say which positions she would play? If not, then perhaps you and your daughter assumed something that wasn't part of his plans.

Finally, would say ( as an educator and coach of thirty years) that part of the problem with kids in general is that mom or dad is always working to get the kid "what she wants." How about teaching them about the importance of what is good for the team? Of course your daughter wants to pitch and play second. If that is not what the team needs right now, should she just pack it up and leave or should she hang in there? I guess the answer depends on which lessons are the most important. I agree that a pitcher needs to pitch, but I can't imagine a coach keeping a great pitcher out of the circle. As for second base, again, if she is that great there I can't see a coach not using her there. Period.

By the way, as for compassion. I have compassion for vets who return from war with severe injuries. I have compassion for people who are mourning lost loved ones. I don't waste compassion on disgruntled softball parents, sorry.

Would have been easier to have just liked my first comment.. :{))

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Now I wouldn't put Helen Keller on second, but it is "usually" my least talented infielder who gets the prize.

Oh I'm sure lots can relate to that one. :)

Last year one of our moms got to the fields early for a HS game. She had the crazy dad section roped off with yellow "caution" tape. We had our big rival school game that night, CAUTION really comes no where near describing the choas. I'm the only sane voice for miles.:eek:

I find this rather frightening :eek:

Sep 2, 2012
What I find unusual with this post is it seems most folks, and I may be wrong, are 'dissing' being in the outfield? I have a friend who is a SEC Coach who says his recruiting preference is, pitcher who can REALLY throw in the mid 60s, a stud catcher with a HEAVY bat, then its outfielders. A fast outfielder with a great glove. He says infielders are a dime a dozen especially SS's. The term he used was, "I can swing a dead cat and hit 5 dozen infielders anytime". So if your child is gifted with speed, an eye for the ball and a glove like it has magnets in it teach her to be an outfielder, maybe not a primary position but have her learn to be able to play the position.

Mar 13, 2010
OP I get why you feel piled on here. While I'm someone who is a passionate believer in outfield being important, people seemed are acting as if you're spitting on their daughters. I get what you're saying.

I would have a word to the coach. Advise that your daughter is a team player, but was recruited as a pitcher and a 2nd base. Ask for his reasoning for her to now be playing outfield and what she can do to get more circle time. I would continue to talk up outfield to your daughter, and encourge her to work on being the best outfielder she can be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd