Stuck in the outfield

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
My DD is a pitcher/2nd basemen. She tried out for her current team as such and was offered a position. Since that time she has played little in the circle and less at 2nd. She has been moved to the outfield recently. We have been told that this is because they have a "few" players that are too slow to play the outfield effectively. While my DD is as much of a team player as the best of them, she is totally frustrated after this weekends tourney. She pitched one game yesterday, 3 innings in a shortened run rule 11-1 game giving up just one hit, and then 1 inning today. In the 7 games we played this weekend she has played 100% of the time in the outfield when she wasn't pitching, which hasn't been much.

So we are planning on talking to the coach to ask him if this is just a temporary situation or a permanent move. Again, my DD is a 100% team player, that is why she hasn't said anything so far, but she isn't happy. Her pitching numbers are good enough to grant more time in the circle, and her infield performance is the same, yet she is parked in the grass.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Sure. Check why she isn't getting much pitching time.

Complain about playing outfield, STUCK IN THE OUTFIELD, well that would get you a good view of me walking away real fast. Good luck finding compassion on this site.

Apr 6, 2012
Sure. Check why she isn't getting much pitching time.

Complain about playing outfield, STUCK IN THE OUTFIELD, well that would get you a good view of me walking away real fast. Good luck finding compassion on this site.

Yeah, you really endeared yourself to all of us out here who love those parents who complain about their kids being "stuck in the outfield." I'll tell you what, I think the coach ought to put your daughter in the circle and let her pitch without the benefit of an outfield. Let's see how that works.

I guess you probably won't get my point or the point of others on this site. While I understand the point about pitching time, I am not sure why you are complaining about playing in the outfield especially if the coach is telling you, in a rather backhanded manner, that she is at least one of the best outfielders on the team. Why not encourage your daughter to become the best pitcher/outfielder on the team instead of whining ? As the parent of a collegiate outfielder, I can tell you that becoming a great outfielder is worth its weight in gold. She really doesn't get "parked in the grass" much because she spends her time out there working hard and playing the position, which is a lot more involved than you probably know.

But, since I know you won't get this, yes, go complain to the coach, stomp your feet, threaten to leave, and whine. Like Redhot said, you will probably get a reaction from the coach you don't expect.

And, yes, I know this is a harsh response. However, I think you need a little wake up call. It will save you and your daughter a lot of drama and heartache.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Yea, doesn't hurt to ask about pitching as long as its in the right tone and in the form of a question........not a statement.

What age are we talking about?

I like to win, I'm going to pitch my best to get there. So that raises a question of why yours isn't getting the circle time. If she's good at the outfield and the coach sees a star there, she should be proud and not frustrated. As they get older the outfield becomes extremely important.

I've seen a bunch of girls who were decent pitchers 10-14, then their time was done. Some were fortunate enough to have other position skills to continue the game, some did not. Just don't cut your nose off to spite your face, not everyone can be a pitcher.

My DD pitched and played first base all her travel career. Once she got to high school she pitched and was designated hitter on varsity for her 3 years ( senior 2013 ) when it wasn't her rotation to throw. At first she was upset on not playing infield, but she realized there were others who did the job better. Not saying that was an easy transition, but it did pass and she moved on mentally.

Yours may be upset, but don't let her know you're upset or you will multiply her anxiety. Good luck.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Take a look at your DD objectively. Is she fast? Does she have a good arm? Can she track the ball well? If the answers are "yes", then she is an outfielder. You would do her and you a favor by working on making her the best outfielder she can be.

You need to talk to the coach about pitching.

Apr 25, 2010
My 13yo pitcher DD LOVES playing in the outfield when she is not in the circle. And when you ask who she relies on most when she IS pitching, it's her outfield! When a ball gets past the infield, it's extra bases. When they get past the outfield, it's runs. Games are won and lost out there and you are doing your DD a HUGE disservice by stating that she is "stuck" out there. A kid who embraces, loves, and practices being an outfielder will be able to find a spot on just about any team. If your DD isn't pitching much, maybe it's because either they need her more in the outfield, or she isn't as good as the other pitcher/s.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish