Stuck in the outfield

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
What I find unusual with this post is it seems most folks, and I may be wrong, are 'dissing' being in the outfield? I have a friend who is a SEC Coach who says his recruiting preference is, pitcher who can REALLY throw in the mid 60s, a stud catcher with a HEAVY bat, then its outfielders. A fast outfielder with a great glove. He says infielders are a dime a dozen especially SS's. The term he used was, "I can swing a dead cat and hit 5 dozen infielders anytime". So if your child is gifted with speed, an eye for the ball and a glove like it has magnets in it teach her to be an outfielder, maybe not a primary position but have her learn to be able to play the position.

DD is trying to develop into option 2 on the list. She has the speed to be a heavy-hitting catcher, lol.

I wish she had the speed to be a great outfielder. Gosh, that would open up all the non-battery positions on the field for her. She was fine taking some innings out in the grass at 10U and below, because she was conscientious about backing up and she hustled, but that's not really enough at 12U and up. It was nerve-racking for her to be out in right last year, knowing that she didn't have the range to play the position well. Thank goodness her new coach is developing several girls as outfielders and doesn't need or want DD out there.

Good grief, I see I didn't say what I had intended to about your daughter! I was trying to make the point that although she doesn't feel very lucky right now, she is fortunate in having the physical gifts which will let her play any position. I know it's hard for her now, not playing her favorite position as much as she would like. However, you never know what will happen down the line.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2011
This is the definition of disgruntled: feeling or expressing discontent or anger

I would think that this accurately portrayed the emotion you discussed in your post. I wasn't being negative, just using a word to describe what you appeared to be, a disgruntled parent. Take it as you will. For me, this discussion is over. Hopefully you have discovered some ways to handle this even from " negative ":rolleyes: posters such as myself.

I am trying to help my "disgruntled" daughter play where she feels she will best help her team. And yes, you have offered help. For that I thank you. :eek:

Nov 14, 2011
For me this topic is over as well. I admit that I should have taken more time to post my original concern from the beginning and that would have minimized some of the negative posts about me being a psycho parent. :( I didn't think that the comment "stuck in the outfield" would upset parents/coaches that the outfield was a inferior position. That was a poor choice of words on my part. I could have said "stuck at 3rd base" or "stuck at catching" and it would have upset other parents. The comment was made by my daughter being upset after spending several games playing a position, any position that she doesn't like. She is as much of a team player as anyone would want, but she wants to play second base also. I have spoken to her and brought up several comments made here by you folks. She is a 2nd year 14u player so she has spent several years playing the game she loves. She knows how and why coaches make roster changes. She would just like to play some time at her preferred position. She is planning on having a 1-on-1 talk with her head coach at her next practice bringing up several of the points brought forward here.

Hopefully this will put an end to this topic as it has grown into something more than it should have. Thanks again for the helpful posts.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I am trying to help my "disgruntled" daughter play where she feels she will best help her team. And yes, you have offered help. For that I thank you. :eek:

No, that's the coach's job. You are trying to help your DD play where she WANTS to play. There is a big difference!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
ms244, everyone talks about how important sports are for teaching "life lessons". Not all life lessons taught by sports are pleasant.

This situation is one that she will face over and over and over again through her life: She wants to do "A" and the boss (or client or teacher) wants her to do "B". Maybe this is the first time she has faced this problem. It is important to teach *her* how to deal with the problem.

In the short term, she has to decide if she wants to continue doing what she is doing now or quit the activity. It really is that simple. If she really hates playing the outfield, then she should quit.

If she decides that she wants to continue playing softball, then either (1) she has to change her goals or (2) she has to go "all-in" and attempt to become a tremendous second baseman--with the understanding that she might fail. (As my wife the teacher likes to say, "Failure is an option.")

My DD#3 wanted to play 1B. The coach wanted her to pitch. DD#3 quit playing softball and concentrated on basketball. I was heart broken when it happened, but supported her chosen path. She ended up winning a D3 championship in basketball.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
No, that's the coach's job. You are trying to help your DD play where she WANTS to play. There is a big difference!

No thats the parents job...ms244 never answered me on whether they had a pitching coach. If they ...her DD and the family resources choose to be a pitcher, and followed the commitment to take lessons and practiced pitching, to the neglect of other siblings, family functions and or other softball skills, then they need to be pitching. To have some Coach tell them they aren't good enough to pitch for him, after retaining their services, when it is quite obvious that he isn't competent to recruit the team correctly. When the services for pitching was procured, he was not concerned. Most likely he is not a professional who receives pay for his decision. Then to expect the money they payed to play be used to develop her as a fielder is a bad investment. If they wanted to pursue fielding, and allocated the pitching resources, time and money to a professional... they would have never meet this gentelman...It is quite obvious he doesn't even know what a fielder looks like, or else he would have picked good ones during tryouts... sounds like the old bait & switch.

Aug 29, 2012
ms244 I would really encourage your dd to embrace the OF if she continues to pitch. On my teams, and many others that we face, the pitchers play either 1B or OF when not in the circle. My infielders work just as hard on their drills, timing, and chemistry with each other as the pitchers do on their pitching. I'm a strong believer in being strong up the middle and want my SS and 2B to get as comfortable with each other as possible. So even if your dd is a great 2B, as a pitcher she wouldn't get much time on one of my teams. Good luck with her pitching and anywher else she plays.

Nov 14, 2011
No thats the parents job...ms244 never answered me on whether they had a pitching coach. If they ...her DD and the family resources choose to be a pitcher, and followed the commitment to take lessons and practiced pitching, to the neglect of other siblings, family functions and or other softball skills, then they need to be pitching. To have some Coach tell them they aren't good enough to pitch for him, after retaining their services, when it is quite obvious that he isn't competent to recruit the team correctly. When the services for pitching was procured, he was not concerned. Most likely he is not a professional who receives pay for his decision. Then to expect the money they payed to play be used to develop her as a fielder is a bad investment. If they wanted to pursue fielding, and allocated the pitching resources, time and money to a professional... they would have never meet this gentelman...It is quite obvious he doesn't even know what a fielder looks like, or else he would have picked good ones during tryouts... sounds like the old bait & switch.

Yes my DD has a pitching coach. She has been with her for 3+ years. Thanks for your reply.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Yes my DD has a pitching coach. She has been with her for 3+ years. Thanks for your reply.

Your Welcome... I understood you as Thanking Everyone, and putting this to rest back at post #83. I would not concern your self with trying to field them anymore. Although I will say there are some Heavy Hitters who haven't weighed in yet on this. You could still get some help, with some Class. C U over in the Pitching Forum...

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish