Stuck in the outfield

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
My DD did the same thing coach was amazed...

I would bet a coach would be delighted to have a girl who loves the outfield at 12U! When I hear about a coach asking the girls to go to their favorite position, I always remember the post about the girl who promptly went to stand in the batter's box. LOL!

Apr 1, 2010
The problem is they don't get to choose where they play, the position choose(s) them.

I love this comment! Ah, but to get a girl to the right mental place where she can accept that she's not always going to get her first choice, that's the rub!

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Look to the future, don't be short-sighted. IMO, positional flexibility is good, particularly if you can hit. Here's a scenario - kid is 9th grade, good ballplayer who can hit. Kid tries out for varsity HS SB team that lost 3-5 players to graduation, which leaves that many open spots for last year's bench players, JV players moving up, and incoming freshmen. Most positions/depth chart are probably decided in coach's mind with 1 or 2 exceptions. Freshman with a strong bat tries out - if she can't or indicates that she isn't willing to play the potentially open position, then she's probably JV. If she's a SS (or name the position), but indicates she can also play other positions, she's likely in the mix for Varsity.

IME, DD was a catcher and knew that Varsity had a Jr. 2-year starter returning at the position (also happened to be coach's god-daughter). DD practiced IF and OF (in addition to C) on her own the summer and fall/winter before starting HS. Went into tryouts self-identified on the sign up form as C/IF/OF willing to play wherever needed. Made the team because of her bat and started every game and played every position except P and C. Didn't catch a game until her Jr. year. Played TB and marketed herself to colleges as a C who also played 2B/corner IF/OF. As a freshman, looks like she's a starting 2B and backup to an all-conf Sr. C. Who knows if she would be in the same situation now if she'd gone into HS tryouts as just a C?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
DD is a freshman and going to tryout for high school team in the spring. When coach asks the question "what position do you play". She says her answer is going to be "coach I'll play where ever you need me to play". She just wants to play for her high school team. She has dreamed and planned for this upcoming season. As far as she is concern she wants to be on the softball field, period. Either in the dirt or grass I don't care, they all are just as important when the balls is coming at you. DD says if you are on the field you bat.

DD is a freshman and going to tryout for high school team in the spring. When coach asks the question "what position do you play". She says her answer is going to be "coach I'll play where ever you need me to play". She just wants to play for her high school team. She has dreamed and planned for this upcoming season. As far as she is concern she wants to be on the softball field, period. Either in the dirt or grass I don't care, they all are just as important when the balls is coming at you. DD says if you are on the field you bat.

DD is in the same boat and that is her answer. Where do you play? Wherever you need me, coach. She made the varisty team for fall league play and has been in the OF, which she is really happy with. It's rare for freshmen to get into the IF anyway in the program she is in, but it doesn't hurt her feelings because she would rather be in the grass. It has been fun seeing her play against some girls that are in 18U and how much she has been learning this fall.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Thats great for your DD. I wish her great success. My DD and myself would be happy just to have her wear her high school team uniform. Then she can work on getting on the field.

Jun 21, 2010
DD is an 8th grader this year. Playing TB in the fall and will play TB spring/summer '13. Everything you said is what my kid is doing. Catches, but plays OF, and occasionally 2B. Last year a freshman made the varsity team and started 2B. Slap hitter. .700 BA. Fast as heck. DD's working her tail off hoping to repeat that. Throwing in track for her MS this spring to work on speed. Right now, one other catcher ahead of her( 9th grade and very good ), and one other her grade--so so. Both varsity catchers graduate this year, and there are no real catchers in JV/Frosh. Anyway, DD will play anywhere to get onto varsity. It's part of her dream and plan.

Look to the future, don't be short-sighted. IMO, positional flexibility is good, particularly if you can hit. Here's a scenario - kid is 9th grade, good ballplayer who can hit. Kid tries out for varsity HS SB team that lost 3-5 players to graduation, which leaves that many open spots for last year's bench players, JV players moving up, and incoming freshmen. Most positions/depth chart are probably decided in coach's mind with 1 or 2 exceptions. Freshman with a strong bat tries out - if she can't or indicates that she isn't willing to play the potentially open position, then she's probably JV. If she's a SS (or name the position), but indicates she can also play other positions, she's likely in the mix for Varsity.

IME, DD was a catcher and knew that Varsity had a Jr. 2-year starter returning at the position (also happened to be coach's god-daughter). DD practiced IF and OF (in addition to C) on her own the summer and fall/winter before starting HS. Went into tryouts self-identified on the sign up form as C/IF/OF willing to play wherever needed. Made the team because of her bat and started every game and played every position except P and C. Didn't catch a game until her Jr. year. Played TB and marketed herself to colleges as a C who also played 2B/corner IF/OF. As a freshman, looks like she's a starting 2B and backup to an all-conf Sr. C. Who knows if she would be in the same situation now if she'd gone into HS tryouts as just a C?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
DD is an 8th grader this year. Playing TB in the fall and will play TB spring/summer '13. Everything you said is what my kid is doing. Catches, but plays OF, and occasionally 2B. Last year a freshman made the varsity team and started 2B. Slap hitter. .700 BA. Fast as heck. DD's working her tail off hoping to repeat that. Throwing in track for her MS this spring to work on speed. Right now, one other catcher ahead of her( 9th grade and very good ), and one other her grade--so so. Both varsity catchers graduate this year, and there are no real catchers in JV/Frosh. Anyway, DD will play anywhere to get onto varsity. It's part of her dream and plan.
Sounds like she's doing everything she can to make it happen. If her bat is strong, they'll have to find a spot for her and the more positions she can handle, the more potential spots there could be. Good luck!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish