Leaving team after 6weeks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
sure but there are enough red flags to start considering if the wrong choice was made, and better to rectify it earlier than later.
Really? 3 games. Player is having fun and is getting pitching time and playing time in the Outfield.
CoachCeetar, you're a coach, what would you prefer people to just up and quit or people to come bring a conversation to you?

How about this perspective...
if the family chooses to have a conversation with the coach. The coach can explain themselves might have a reasonable explanation. Can find out the role of the player on the team. Gives the opportunity for the coach to make an adjustment if needed. Otherwise when families just quit without a conversation or offering feedback as to the reasoning to being dissatisfied then they are just quitting without doing anything to help the situation. Having already dropped an amount of money on the team imagining uniforms and such easily about 500 bucks or more.

Learning to navigate these type of situations is learning a communication skill.

Quitting is quitting. Doesn't mean the next situation will be better.
And generally Burns a bridge for future opportunity.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023
. Gives the opportunity for the coach to make an adjustment if needed. Otherwise when families just quit without a conversation or offering feedback as to the reasoning to being dissatisfied then they are just quitting without doing anything to help the situation.

It's not on anyone to explain to people why they suck. People quitting on them should cause them to reflect on their own. This is essentially victim blaming.

Corporate America does this crap all the time "Oh, come here, we'll building this great group of people! You'll get equity! It'll be amazing." And then it's not and it's garbage and you missed out on a more stable opportunity because you were sold a bill of goods.

What do you do if the coach repeats the same bs he said to reel her in in the first place and nothing changes? Or worse, coach starts the player in the next game to try to mollify them and then slowly transitions back to favoring the other players?

Don't have to immediately quit THIS VERY MOMENT but when you see potential problems it's smart to start feeling around to figure out what your options are so you're not scrambling when it becomes 100% clear it's not a good fit. That can include talking to the coach, sure. But nothing the coach _says_ changes anything.

Jun 18, 2023
Well I'm coaching in town, no one has the option to quit on me.

But If I told a kid that she could pitch/catch/whatever and we never got to it, and then she quit? No hard feelings, you found something that fits you better.

I'm more of a "let everyone play everywhere and figure out what they like themselves" though.

May 13, 2023
Well I'm coaching in town, no one has the option to quit on me.
What? No one has the option to quit...

LOL please offer an explanation how that can be possible.

Pardon I was laughing because imagining a ball and chain on players, with maybe some electrical fencing and barbed wire...

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2023
Perhaps I missed this but if your DD wants to be a pitcher, is she taking pitching lessons?
She has been in lessons for over two years. Currently twice a week with the club endorsed coach who has her with three pitches, great speed, and good command. I’m sure if our team coach would ask the pitching coach she would find out what she needs to know.

Jun 18, 2023
What? No one has the option to quit...

LOL please offer an explanation how that can be possible.

Pardon I was laughing because imagining a ball and chain on players, with maybe some electrical fencing and barbed wire...

come on, you know what I mean. It's town ball. rec and travel. Sure, they can go sign up for a club team and all that. But they're freaking 9. (or 6-7) Half of 'em still ask "where's left field?" when you write LF on the lineup.

We're just having fun. It's fall, we cede priority to soccer, and cheer anyway. (and to mother nature)

If anyone's "quitting" the team with all their friends it's because they've got a club/private team they're prioritizing, and we wish them well. But this group literally was having players-only meetings after the games. They're having a good time. No one's quitting. We got 9/12 of the kids at least an inning of pitching. (this was the first year they even could)

but this is the age kids might decide they want more, and that might mean deprioritizing this, or quitting it for something better. Go ahead. I wish them well. I've watched endless YouTube videos and read forums and am learning how best to do this, but parent volunteers can't compete with private facilities, particularly ones that actually take care of the fields and maximize the ability to have practices/games.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Preface by saying I have read through other “quitting posts” and not found answers.

First year 12u player same organization last year in 10u (strongest player on that team) considering leaving new team after 6 weeks. Short story long is that we were considering 4 teams after last season because it want the best experience. DD had fun but didn’t learn much as team was very young and didn’t move much in tourneys. We spoke to coach (new to team this year but not to organization) before accepting offer this year and were told she would get circle time and that coach expected to play everyone in all positions. DD is a pitcher and plays well at all infield positions but especially corners.

Fast forward and after three fall league games and 5 practices coach seems to have decided that she knows where everyone should be playing even though some players have not played more than one position. She has started the same two pitchers in all games (they get two innings each) and then brings in either my daughter or one other first year to pitch one inning. Same players have played third base and as in every game. Also is playing all the young players in the outfield only at both games and practices and has them all batting at the end of the order even though one of them leaded the team in avg and obp.

We have multiple teams after her and especially one where she would be the starting pitcher and when not would get to play SS and third. This team will not be nearly as skilled and play less than the other team but she would at least get to play where she wants and develop at her other positions.

My fear is that she will lose interest in softball if this continues. She has made comments about not being able to pitch and only playing in outfield already but is having fun s

Depending on the local softball environment I would start by putting eggs in other baskets.
Never let one coach and one team be the source of softball fun and improvement.
1. Can she be a pickup player?
2. Can you go to extra lessons? Maybe group lessons?
3. Can she be a helper for a younger team?
4. Find a softball friend and go watch higher-level or high-school games.
5. Go to open tryouts.
6. Find out if volunteering is an option. eg Miracle League.

1st Year 12u is a big hurdle for pitchers. I would not put much stock in pitching minutes at this point. To be honest not pitching can be great fuel if spun the right way. Pitching is a marathon and this is actually a good time to back away from the focus on playing time and focus on fundamentals and fun.

The only question you truly have has little to do with softball and more to do with life.
Is quitting now what you want her to do later in life?
Has this situation turned into one that needs to be dealt with immediately or can it be resolved in natural order as the season ends?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad