Stuck in the outfield

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
For what it's worth....

DD's 18 Gold team has 3 over the top outfielders. Right and center fielders were both pitchers until the last couple of years and the left fielder was a catcher.

In my experience, more than half of 18 Gold players have been a pitcher at some time in their softball career.

GOINGDEEP; said:
Last year one of our moms got to the fields early for a HS game. She had the crazy dad section roped off with yellow "caution" tape. We had our big rival school game that night, CAUTION really comes no where near describing the choas. I'm the only sane voice for miles.:eek:

Funny, I'll remember that one. Our booster club will be selling shirts to the dads with "WDC" on them and their daughter's numbers. WDC stands for Whiney Dads Club.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 11, 2012
DD is trying to develop into option 2 on the list. She has the speed to be a heavy-hitting catcher, lol.

Having a skilled second position is very important to get on the field in both TB and HS ball, ....but by the looks of your avatar, your DD has even a better shot of success because she is an "O's" player.....

Aug 3, 2011
Here's my two cents as a select coach with a daughter who pitches and plays outfield. Pitchers need to pitch. That's why we practice and spend money on lessons - to pitch. If you are with a team where you don't get pitching time for whatever reason - you need to make a change. If players are promised pitching time (based on performance of course) and they don't get it, I would not feel guilty about making a change - even mid-season.

As far as playing outfield - I don't appreciate anyone saying it's a punishment. Outfield is an important position and good outfielders are vital - especially as the kids get older. Lots of balls go to the outfield and many games are decided on the strength or weakness of the outfield. Having said that, if your daughter is a pitcher and infielder, I understand the concern about being put in the outfield.

Talking to the coach is always a good first step - but if you don't get satisfaction you may want to look for another team. Every parent needs to look out for their daughters best interest. If you do decide to switch, I'd recommend going to a team where your daughter would fit in as a number 1 or 2 on a team with 1 -3 pitchers. Teams with more than 3 pitchers always have trouble sharing time and no one is really happy.

Apr 1, 2010
Having a skilled second position is very important to get on the field in both TB and HS ball, ....but by the looks of your avatar, your DD has even a better shot of success because she is an "O's" player.....

Thanks, Pdiddy. O's...U Know!!! ;-)

On the advice of a couple of instructors and some posters here, DD is learning 3rd base as her second position. It seemed like the best option for a stocky right-hander with good reflexes and a strong arm, but lacking speed. Just like the original poster's child, she once loved to play second, but to play it well requires being able to cover a wide range. OP's DD doesn't see it now, but she is very fortunate to have speed--it opens the doors to every position.

Dec 9, 2011
I would love to see a video of Ms daughter pitching. Just would like to see why she isn't getting any pitching time. Ms do you have a video of her pitching? Do you have any video of her playing 2nd? How can one give advise not seeing on what and how a player performs. Maybe the coach thought she might get better but hasn't and the things she has is her speed and arm... post some video and maybe you may get better advise. Switching from team to team is that the answer? How many times do you switch? Soon you will run out of teams. Hey Ms maybe you should start a team and your daughter can play where ever she wants.

Aug 14, 2011
Going into fall, I asked all the players to stand where they want to play, putting summer positions aside. My 12yo DD was the only one to go to OF and said "so can I pick which OF position since no one else wants it or is it all mine?"

My DD did the same thing coach was amazed...

I think a lot of kids go through this at some point in their TB career if they are used to playing IF. The problem is they don't get to choose where they play, the position choose them. DD played MI for awhile. Has great range. She was mad when she was put into the OF because "she wasn't an outfielder." I told her, you are now, so learn to love it. After being crappy about it for a couple of weeks she figured out that it is a lot of fun. She has good range and is all over the place out there. It can be slow if your pitcher is making girls hit grounders, but a good OF can bail a team out when the pitcher doesn't have her best stuff. The irony is that she doesn't care to play the IF anymore. Her current coach likes to use her at 2B, but she always makes the "yuck face" when he puts her there. She'll play it, but rather be in the OF now.

If the OP does come back, there is a reason she is out there and it is not because she is not good. Ask her to give it a chance...she may wind up loving it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish