When does it become about the education?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would not lose sleep over not playing high school ball if she is on a very competitive TB team that will get her the college exposure she needs to be recruited (assuming she wants to play softball in college).

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
It's not worried about getting seen in HS but getting 3 months of practice and play every day that could put a kid behind if you don't get those reps. She will be catching for a SR that is headed to college to play and She is jazzed about that.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Thanks Indiana. We are looking at the softball camp at Cornell for this summer and maybe UVA and A&M. Not all 3, the tourney season has one off weekend this summer.

If she/you are open to DIII schools, early August each year Tufts Univ. runs a SB camp w/ coaches from a number of the top academic schools (NESCAC) in the NE. Some on the board here may be willing to share their experience.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
For college, if she still wants to play, we will look at schools that are a fit for her academically.

LOL, I know a pitcher at Tufts who worked with DD back in the days of my avatar. Not a bad stretch for a 5th grader. She was the one inning wonder, strike out the side and walk 8 and hit 2 in the second.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Boston College has a camp July 16 and 17; we're hoping to hit that one as part of our Boston area tour of schools this summer. My best friend from high school played tennis at Tufts and loved it; I played field hockey at Cornell and had a great experience. I like Cornell as a choice because it is 1. a very good school and 2. out in the middle of nowhere so there isn't too much trouble a student can get into (plus all of the collegetown dive-bars are closing; makes me wonder what everyone does for "fun" these days)! Their softball team was club when I was there but now they are a varsity sport and very competitive. Right now my DD has her heart set on Georgetown - we'll keep watching the grades and see how that all comes out. Their softball team, too is very competitive; I think four of their freshmen this year are from Arizona. The funny thing is - Georgetown's softball field is tiny; tucked back into the backyard of a rec center with one tiny little set of bleachers. Must be culture shock for the girls who are used to playing in big stadiums!
One inning wonder - ha ha! I've witnessed those in my DD - gives me heart palpitations :)

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I think this is a no brainer.

What is going to provide your DD with the most likely path to success and ability to support herself, and possibly a family, the rest of her life, a top-notch education or HS softball?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I think this is a no brainer.

What is going to provide your DD with the most likely path to success and ability to support herself, and possibly a family, the rest of her life, a top-notch education or HS softball?

I would agree if it was cut and dried. If school A provides the best in math and science around preparing kids for MIT and RIT but does not offer choices in a foreign language, band, choir, school plays, the latest in tablet PCs or sports VS a school that does offer all these things plus sends 100% of their kids to college and most are going to schools like Fordham, St John's, Villanova, ND, Georgetown and a few go to Harvard, Yale and Princeton the choice becomes less clear. It's not a play softball and forego college choice.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I would agree if it was cut and dried. If school A provides the best in math and science around preparing kids for MIT and RIT but does not offer choices in a foreign language, band, choir, school plays, the latest in tablet PCs or sports VS a school that does offer all these things plus sends 100% of their kids to college and most are going to schools like Fordham, St John's, Villanova, ND, Georgetown and a few go to Harvard, Yale and Princeton the choice becomes less clear. It's not a play softball and forego college choice.

Wasn't suggesting that at all. My comparison was the level of education vs HS softball. Wasn't suggesting giving up softball or the education, just don't think HS softball should be considered a priority in the decision process.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl