When does it become about the education?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Your DD says she would like to play in college. She is has an offer to go to a very good school, +2100 avg SAT scores for free but they have no sports. OR she can go to a good private school with sports but not a powerhouse in any. Private school costs a pretty penny but you can swing it and They avg 1950 SAT. Would you worry about not staying competitive in TB? Would it even figure in? Does the full HS experience count for something?

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
With great grades and wants to play in college, why wouldn't she be playing in college?

Sorry, but your post confused me.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
IP - I think you're leaving out too much information. What grade is your daughter in? Are you asking which high school to attend? You just said 'school'. Is that high school or college? What kind of offer is she getting? Also, this sentence - ''Would you worry about not staying competitive in TB?'' - What do you mean by that? Are she considering not staying in travel ball? Why?

Jul 26, 2010
They should play travel ball because they like playing travel ball. The parent has already saved up for their education. If they're playing travel ball to get into college, the parent has already failed.

-W

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
Its becoming more and more common for athletes to forgo the HS sports altogether . Club sports are generally more competitive and offer better coaching than most High Schools and college coaches are using exposure tournaments more and more to recruit players . I would suggest she attend the best school she can for her academically and continue playing club ball . Since she is only 14 (If I am reading your post right) who knows if she will even still be interested in Softball 4 years from now but she will still need to get a post HS education .

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I didn't realize I wrote so poorly...DD is in 8th grade. She has the grades and test scores to attend a very exclusive public school that specializes in Math and Science. You must be invited to attend. They have no sports at this school. OR she can attend a very good Private school that I will pay for that does have SB for 4 years.

DD wants to play SB in college. She does not need an athletic scholarship to go to college. She plays club/tournament ball now and would continue. The question is...would your kid lose to much by not playing 4 years of HS ball. Could you make up for that on your own. Would going to the math and science school pretty much end your chances of playing college ball. Should you care that your kid might not play in college. I hear it's about the education when referring to what college to choose. Would you put your kid in one HS because they average 150 pts more on the SAT? 1950 vs 2100?

Jul 26, 2010
Do you think that specializing in math and science prepares a kid for the real world or college at all? I'm in an area with a particular demographic that seems to feel that way, but I'm left wondering if these families and these kids are missing the point of high school.

Ultimately, you have to decide what is best for your family. Maybe your kid will have some insight of their own to share.

-W

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl