What's the deal with TB coaches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
Been all over the country - there are jerk coaches here and there,... but everywhere. There is one region though that has had the predominent proportion of crazy nut-job coaches. It goes along with the level of passion that this area exhibits towards the sport (in general). Are those folks in that area more "crazy",.... no,.... it's just relative to the level of passion in that region.

Bottom line is that any tourney and its directors NEED to have strict rules for dealing with conflict. I LOVE quick "hooks" for coaches that get a little too crazy. Give the umps and your "walking-tourney-management" this direction and most likely you will have calm. Ya just can't let the ego's and tempers get above a certain point.

Then it IS the parents responsibility to banish the "crazy" coaches regardless of their resume and not let them have more than one season to prove their mental disability.....

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Many parents don't see the misbehavior in their coaches, perhaps because they don't know how to behave themselves, or perhaps the coach has done a good con job on them. You can be nice to your kids and parents and still be a complete jerk to the other team and umpires.

Last year, an opposing coach accused our team of purposely skipping the last batter in our lineup. The batter did bat, and struck out, but their scorekeeper failed to notice and got the coach all riled up about something that didn't happen. It was pointed out to the scorekeeper after the inning that she had only two outs recorded, and her response was that the umpire got confused and called the inning after two outs. But this team's head coach is complaining the whole game to fans, coaches, umpires, saying he can't believe we tried to cheat like that. He said his scorekeeper doesn't make mistakes. He even asked the girl on our team if she hit that inning. She says 'no,' meaning she didn't get a hit, so that further fanned the flames of stupidity. Later in the game, as our scorekeeper goes over to theirs to confirm the score, as he does after each inning, the coach starts up again and calls our scorekeeper an idiot. Several of their parents begin to laugh. They had no clue that this head coach was a dumbass and asshole rolled into one.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Some of the issue is that a lot of coaches were wanna be players and "live" sports thru their children/teams now. They did nothing in their own sports lives and therefore want to win more than anything else...even if its by showing terrible sportsmanship and guidance to the children they are supposed to be teaching the exact opposite to. Winning is more for them then it is for the kids. They want to be the boss and winning coach.
I also believe there should be a test for softball intelligence before people are allowed to coach...haha

Jun 11, 2013
We talk about TB softball coaches. Have any of you been to a Little League game in the past 5 years. Some of these coaches make the TB coaches look like Mother Theresa. They constantly badger the 14 year old kid umpire into giving into them. We had a coach a couple of years ago that held players back to play farm so he could win a championship. Another kid I know actually got traded so a coach could have a kid he couldn't pick.

Jun 19, 2013
We were at a TB fall ball game last weekend where the coach on the other team was a loud mouth jerk. I had noticed him last month pulling the same thing. Chewing his own daughter out for not swinging at the third strike, yelling at the ump and telling him he couldn't have seen a call that he had made, yelling at his daughter for not stealing when he gave her the sign, etc. I was feeling grateful and like we may have dodged a bullet since this was actually a team that we were planning to go to tryouts for if my dd didn't make her current team. Hopefully he would have shown some of his colors in his tryouts.

Funny note about that game - one of our girls was on 3rd base for quite a while and ended up chatting with the third baseman - the third baseman tells our runner "if I get the ball I'll try not to get you out because my coach is a jerk and I'm quitting this team and not playing for him in the spring". Haha

Jun 19, 2013
Sorry you didn't think it was funny. Just thought it was an example of what goes around comes around. At least the 12 yo player knew what made a bad coach and wasn't going to put up with it was all I was trying to say.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I just came from a hitting lesson with a 9yo. Over on the other field was irate dad, with young teenage daughter. He was angry and yelling at her the whole time. It lasted 45 minutes. I was getting in my truck, as he was getting in his and he continued to scream at her.

We were laughing at him and calling it the "angry practice." But, the poor daughter, she can't enjoy practice, at all.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I just came from a hitting lesson with a 9yo. Over on the other field was irate dad, with young teenage daughter. He was angry and yelling at her the whole time. It lasted 45 minutes. I was getting in my truck, as he was getting in his and he continued to scream at her.

We were laughing at him and calling it the "angry practice." But, the poor daughter, she can't enjoy practice, at all.

Next time you see me at the field come over and say hello! :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing