What the #$%#$@?? Ump on the fritz!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I have seen lines been drawn way too close to the plate and the result is usually hit batters. If they lines were drawn wrong he was justified in getting rid of them.

At a recent tournament, the boxes were drawn way too close to the plate, and the batters were setting up against the line. My DD called a ton of inside pitches that day, and got a whole lot of strikes on surprised batters.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Lack of communication. Ump should have simply address at plate meeting. If he didn't notice it then, he should have called the coaches over and explained. Don't all field set up guys have that gismo that gets the boxes right every time?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Lack of communication. Ump should have simply address at plate meeting. If he didn't notice it then, he should have called the coaches over and explained. Don't all field set up guys have that gismo that gets the boxes right every time?

I've seen that thing done wrong, too. Not sure how, but the results were definitely bad.

May 29, 2015
I'm not saying I disagree that communication would have avoided the problem (and I posted what I would do) ... but, for those saying this, why do you feel it is necessary for the umpire to call the coaches out to tell them what he is doing? He doesn't call them out every inning and say "Coach, the line is getting faint. Coach, part of the line is missing. Hey coach, the base line is a little smeared."

Without anymore context, these coaches and parents (and seemingly the TD) are ... [breathe in, breathe out]

I guess I am failing to understand what the big deal is over batter's boxes that are 1.) OBVIOUSLY incorrect; 2.) will be wiped out in two innings anyway; and 3.) often times aren't even put down in the first place.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I'm not saying I disagree that communication would have avoided the problem (and I posted what I would do) ... but, for those saying this, why do you feel it is necessary for the umpire to call the coaches out to tell them what he is doing? He doesn't call them out every inning and say "Coach, the line is getting faint. Coach, part of the line is missing. Hey coach, the base line is a little smeared."

Without anymore context, these coaches and parents (and seemingly the TD) are ... [breathe in, breathe out]

I guess I am failing to understand what the big deal is over batter's boxes that are 1.) OBVIOUSLY incorrect; 2.) will be wiped out in two innings anyway; and 3.) often times aren't even put down in the first place.

I think it's necessary because the umpire does everything in this video like a giant weirdo. The way he moves, the way he turns around after. The act of erasing the line is justified, but the way he's acting is just bizarre. And if I'm a coach and I happened to not notice what was wrong, I'm gonna wonder what his deal is.

There really is no comparison between an umpire intentionally removing the line and pointing out that lines got erased during the course of the game. One of those happens in literally every single game, and the other is something that many have never seen. You don't see how the latter might warrant a brief "hey, these lines are screwed up; I'm gonna erase them"?

And since the reason for erasing the lines is completely logical, it seems like he didn't bother explaining afterward either since both coaches were compelled to complain about it.

I absolutely think more of the story is needed here.

Jan 11, 2015
Well maybe he did tell them and they said they wanted the boxes how they were?

It can throw you off having crooked lines. Makes you feel like you are not angled right to the plate and facing a different direction