H.S. Parent Follows Ump into Parking Lot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
A parent continuing to complain about bad calls in the parking lot after the game is different and nothing I've ever seen. People do not always do that. This is not a coach having a discussion. It's a person who has no business talking to the umpire in the first place doing it as the umpire is trying to go home.
anybody who is in a position of authority that have to make repercussion type action to these type of events have to take into account all parts of the story. they don't get to just listen to One version of it and find a disciplinary action. There are usually more than one side to the story and certainly in this case I pointed one out.
absolutely silly and it makes me laugh for you to say you don't recognize people chime at umpires after games, it happens all the freaking time.

Last edited:
May 29, 2019
People are always having further conversations with umpires after games. This does not stand out as different.

I read the story.
you can take from it what you want. To me the title was completely misleading.
Also the added descriptions of the people is actually uneccesary imo also.

The title says the Yeller follow the umpire to his car. But in the same story it says the Yeller walked to his car they were parked next to each other. Story also says the yeller immediatly open his trunk of his car.
He went to his own car!!!! Not at the umpires car.
so yeller are did not follow the umpire to his car Yeller happen to be parked next to the umpire nothing other than voicing wotds happened.
you don't know what the umpire was saying to the man. The was an other umpire who was with the umpire even commented that he thought the home plate umpire is an idiot ...
There very well could be a different version of the story being told.
since I hear people yelling at umpires after games all the time and berate them with really harsh words nothing went further than words and words are allowed.
You really needed to be there to get the full picture of what was happening. No matter how much you try, often times the full context doesn't come out in text. I in absolutely no way tried to embellish the situation. I tried to describe the situation to the best of my ability.

It's my opinion that the guy's intent was to intimidate the umpire after the game. He was not going out there to have a "casual conversation". I am basing that off of behavior up to, during, and after his encounter in the parking lot. I'm not going to rehash the details. I saw enough to think that there could be an incident, hence why went out there to be a witness. Obviously, someone else thought enough of it to contact the Athletic Director before I did.

Put yourself in the umpire's shoes. A guy behind the backstop yelling so loud during the game that the right fielder can hear it is suddenly standing a few feet away from you in the parking lot? When the ball game is over, it's over. I do not believe that it is OK to continue the verbal berating after the game, away from the field.

Maybe I should have just minded my own business...

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
At first I had the same feeling as RAD, so he walked to his own car and yelled at him a little more, big deal.

After some thought though it COULD be a big deal because you have no idea how crazy someone is or what kind of day/week/month/year they have had.

Rummaging through the trunk could easily turn into finding a weapon of some kind and attacking. Or it could lead to the ump (who may legally carry) getting his weapon and firing in self defense from a perceived threat. These are extreme examples but not out the question in the world we live. Things go sideways fast.

You should NOT have minded your own business. More people need to step up and prevent these things instead of watching and saying nothing.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
You really needed to be there to get the full picture of what was happening. No matter how much you try, often times the full context doesn't come out in text. I in absolutely no way tried to embellish the situation. I tried to describe the situation to the best of my ability.

It's my opinion that the guy's intent was to intimidate the umpire after the game. He was not going out there to have a "casual conversation". I am basing that off of behavior up to, during, and after his encounter in the parking lot. I'm not going to rehash the details. I saw enough to think that there could be an incident, hence why went out there to be a witness. Obviously, someone else thought enough of it to contact the Athletic Director before I did.

Put yourself in the umpire's shoes. A guy behind the backstop yelling so loud during the game that the right fielder can hear it is suddenly standing a few feet away from you in the parking lot? When the ball game is over, it's over. I do not believe that it is OK to continue the verbal berating after the game, away from the field.

Maybe I should have just minded my own business...
let me share this ~
* like the way you wrote your post because it brought out thought-provoking responses!

my previous post I already said disclaimers
*not supporting intimidation.

While it is terrible uneccessary conflict happens.
Those were adults and other things could very posibly occured and didnt.
Like unfortunetly needing to say...
The umpire could have said Got it. Stop. (did he)
The 2nd umpire didnt say anything to stop it?( did he)
Does that mean it wasnt THAT BAD? (? to them?)
Maybe the blues were like
'oh dang and we parked near eachother too. Just keep quiet and go'.

This is odd too
why did the one umpire comment about the other umpire being an idiot?
Thats a twist in the story???

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Rummaging through the trunk could easily turn into finding a weapon of some kind and attacking. Or it could lead to the ump (who may legally carry) getting his weapon and firing in self defense from a perceived threat. These are extreme examples but not out the question in the world we live. Things go sideways fast.

You should NOT have minded your own business. More people need to step up and prevent these things instead of watching and saying nothing.
Did he brandish a weapon?
Maybe he needed insulin?
Or a snickers?

That part of the story says he went to his car for something.
In a hurried waddly way....while yelling :)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
anybody who is in a position of authority that have to make repercussion type action to these type of events have to take into account all parts of the story. they don't get to just listen to One version of it and find a disciplinary action. There are usually more than one side to the story and certainly in this case I pointed one out.
absolutely silly and it makes me laugh for you to say you don't recognize people chime at umpires after games, it happens all the freaking time.

I really can't think of a single time during all our high school games that someone other than a coach had a post-game discussion with an umpire about anything that happened during the game. It really doesn't happen all the time, and it shouldn't happen ever.

May 29, 2019
At first I had the same feeling as RAD, so he walked to his own car and yelled at him a little more, big deal.

After some thought though it COULD be a big deal because you have no idea how crazy someone is or what kind of day/week/month/year they have had.

The thing that drew my attention was that he was double-timing it to the parking lot and still yelling. If he would have been hustling but not yelling, I would not have thought anything about it. If he would have been causally walking but still yelling, I probably still would not have thought anything of it.

You're right about the crazies in this world, and I would be a little nervous in that situation with him rustling around in his trunk next to me. With him being in his trunk, that put him just a few feet away from the umpire, so I think he was doing it to make it look like he was there for a legitimate reason other than specifically going after the ump. He never put anything in his trunk or took anything out.

May 29, 2019

let me share this ~
* like the way you wrote your post because it brought out thought-provoking responses!

This is odd too

let me share this ~

The umpire could have said Got it. Stop. (did he)
The 2nd umpire didnt say anything to stop it?( did he)

This is odd too
I get what you are saying. There are two sides to every story, and nobody knows every detail of a situation. People should be skeptical also. If you ever met me, you'd probably find me as one of the most skeptical people you ever met.

You also never know what people are thinking:
I never heard the ump say anything so he was either really soft-spoken or mostly just taking it. I only heard the parent say "No, I'm not threatening you!" So you can infer that the ump told him to stop threatening him.
"The 2nd umpire didnt say anything to stop it?( did he)?
I did not hear him address anything. He may have been thinking "I don't want to say anything and have him come at me." -or- He may have been thinking "Come on, lets all just leave"

"why did the one umpire comment about the other umpire being an idiot?

I found that odd too when he said that. After talking to DD later on, she said that the plate ump turned a few times during the game to tell the fans on their side to "knock it off, etc..." So putting two and two together I would guess that maybe he meant that the plate ump was an "Idiot" for acknowledging the fans when they were chirping? That's speculation on my part, but it could make sense. However, if there was a back and forth interaction (I do not know if there actually was...and NO, and ump should not be getting into extended interactions with fans) that would make it look worse for the parent (in my opinion) that he was trying to continue that into the parking lot.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I get what you are saying. There are two sides to every story, and nobody knows every detail of a situation. People should be skeptical also. If you ever met me, you'd probably find me as one of the most skeptical people you ever met.

You also never know what people are thinking:
I never heard the ump say anything so he was either really soft-spoken or mostly just taking it. I only heard the parent say "No, I'm not threatening you!" So you can infer that the ump told him to stop threatening him.
"The 2nd umpire didnt say anything to stop it?( did he)?
I did not hear him address anything. He may have been thinking "I don't want to say anything and have him come at me." -or- He may have been thinking "Come on, lets all just leave"

"why did the one umpire comment about the other umpire being an idiot?

I found that odd too when he said that. After talking to DD later on, she said that the plate ump turned a few times during the game to tell the fans on their side to "knock it off, etc..." So putting two and two together I would guess that maybe he meant that the plate ump was an "Idiot" for acknowledging the fans when they were chirping? That's speculation on my part, but it could make sense. However, if there was a back and forth interaction (I do not know if there actually was...and NO, and ump should not be getting into extended interactions with fans) that would make it look worse for the parent (in my opinion) that he was trying to continue that into the parking lot.
The plate umpire turned and talked to the fans during the game telling fans to knock it off?!!!

Wellll that opens a can of worms to the umpires personality type...
🙉🙈🙊
And another posibility he did have his own words after the game toward yeller dad.
Just sayin'

Cross an awkward line once...twice is possible.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Wellll that opens a can of worms to the umpires personality type...

Does it? You don't know what the fans were saying. Maybe that was his way of warning them. Umpires can eject fans if they're being unruly, so maybe this guy was giving them a chance to behave better.

Now that I think about it, you might be right. This suggests to me the umpire is probably more patient with a bunch of loudmouthed obnoxious parents than I probably would be.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom