So I went to the Judi Garman Classic

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I saw Cal Poly vs Fresno St., Minnesota upset Oregon, UCLA beat UCF (2 to1 on a walk off error), Michigan vs LSU, LSU vs LMU. This was a great seesaw battle with LSU coming out on top, but LMU had had the tying run on third and winning run on second with 2 outs in the bottom of the 7th. Great game.
Observations:
The outfielders (and players in general) are fast.(faster than they look on TV) They get great first steps and run near perfect routes. Centerfielders especially. They make beautiful running catches and steal extra base hits while making it look easy. The field shrinks at this level. The old idea that if you can hit, they will find a spot for you was kind of debunked. If you hit real good you might be a DP but everyone on the field is an elite athlete.
The chalk line for the batters box was at most 4 inches from the white of the plate. Pretty sure it is suppose to be 6 inches. The strike zone in general was generous and the good pitchers (which most were very good) dominated most of the non elite hitters. There were hitters that I could predict were going to strike out after there first swing.
Funny story:
I took a seat early for the UCLA vs UCF game and was second row directly behind home plate. During the break after the first inning the they announced over the PA the tournament host (Judi Garman) and had her stand up and the people applauded. I was sitting directly across the isle from her and didn't even know it.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Another observation I forgot to mention:
I saw not one lefty pull power hitter. 95% of foul balls are down the left field line whether the batter is right or left handed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478