The Old Blind Ump Joke - But for Real

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2017
First, I would start by finding out where to register to become an umpire.

Next, after registering, recruit others.

The shortage of umpires is keeping guys and gals around who probably should hang it up. I worked with two guys this week who were both past 75 and weren't moving so well. I saw a recent news story on a baseball umpire who is 85 and has been calling the game for 50 years. It's a heartwarming story, but it didn't look so good.

Talking to the TD or UIC after the game was the best move.
My 17 year old daughter umped her first 2 games yesterday (10u softball). We’ll see how it goes. Maybe she has 50 years in her.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
My niece umped when she was 16. Brother in law went to couple games to make sure she was OK with the adults. Appeartly she was a force, he stopped going to her umpire games.

The play that got umped tossed, previous post, was iconicly an older gentlemen. DD was in the middle of it like always. I asked her after the game what she thought of him. She said he was OK. Good enough for me to be on his side.

Aug 25, 2019
As a plate umpire in this situation, you really can't overrule the base umpire, no matter how obvious it is. After the inning is over, I'd talk to him about his calls, that's he's missing obvious ones. If they continued, then I think I'd have to get together with him after the call and straighten it out. And it's tough for the coaches too, because you cannot argue judgement calls, only if you think the runner foot was off the bag or the ball was juggled, etc. Then again the coach can come out with that concern and give the plate umpire a chance to get together with the base umpire and get the call right.

Jan 8, 2019

The shortage of umpires is keeping guys and gals around who probably should hang it up. I worked with two guys this week who were both past 75 and weren't moving so well. I saw a recent news story on a baseball umpire who is 85 and has been calling the game for 50 years. It's a heartwarming story, but it didn't look so good.

We have a local like that, too. He’s 84(ish?), not sure how long he’s been calling games, but when I moved here 25 or so yrs ago, most of us thought he should have been retired back then. To the best of my knowledge, he’s also still playing in the local fastpitch league with his 60-something baby boy! I’m hoping I can still turn the channel at that age!

Jul 2, 2013
As a plate umpire in this situation, you really can't overrule the base umpire, no matter how obvious it is. After the inning is over, I'd talk to him about his calls, that's he's missing obvious ones. If they continued, then I think I'd have to get together with him after the call and straighten it out. And it's tough for the coaches too, because you cannot argue judgement calls, only if you think the runner foot was off the bag or the ball was juggled, etc. Then again the coach can come out with that concern and give the plate umpire a chance to get together with the base umpire and get the call right.

There was really only one that they could have asked the HP ump about. It was one where the first baseman didn't have a foot on the base when the catch was made. But the coach didn't bother. It was later in the game and I think they had just accepted it at that point.

Jul 2, 2013
This reminds me of a varsity high school game I attended last year in another sport. The athletic director (who was the "athletic director of the year" for our region the year before) actually made an announcement during the game that "The officials tonight are very bad, but they are bad for both sides. We're just going to have to deal with it." This was loud enough to be heard on the field. I was shocked. I happen to know that the officials in question work major national tournaments at the highest level. They were not bad at all. After the game I told the athletic director that his comments were completely inappropriate and his response was that "I said they were bad for both sides." I was dumbfounded.

That reminds of the old Billy Tubbs video where he had to address the fans for throwing things on the court during a game. He took the PA mic and said "Regardless of how bad the officiating it, please don't throw things on the court."

Mar 1, 2013

This is essentially how I started umpiring. Played and coached for years. Time to give back (and take it from the coaches and players too). I was in my 40’s when I started. I’m in my 50’s now and and still one of the younger ones out there around here.

Jul 2, 2013
This is essentially how I started umpiring. Played and coached for years. Time to give back (and take it from the coaches and players too). I was in my 40’s when I started. I’m in my 50’s now and and still one of the younger ones out there around here.
I'll be in my mid 40s when all of my kids are out of high school and I keep threatening to start umping at that point. I told my wife I can either go ump and get paid to get yelled at or stay home and get yelled at for free.

Mar 1, 2013
I'll be in my mid 40s when all of my kids are out of high school and I keep threatening to start umping at that point. I told my wife I can either go ump and get paid to get yelled at or stay home and get yelled at for free.
I’m married 28 years and also a volunteer fire police officer so getting yelled at for free is pretty much my norm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28