What is this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
They should be sending this to whoever manages that field too, there is a reason the safety base is required for most youth baseball and softball leagues...

Also, I would agree with a coaching issue on both sides. The collision is both of their faults. The runner isn't anywhere near the baseline and the fielder is standing over the top of the bag.

Exactly- he runs through the first baseman's glove arm as he reaches for the ball. The first baseman does everything wrong with his feet & positioning, but the runner is worse. He's 3 feet in fair and chooses the inner most part of the base.

It makes me wonder if the kid wasn't obstructing the runners all game long and the coach didn't tell him to run through him to "send them a message." It doesn't look malicious, but there is no other explanation for the line he takes... other that lack of experience or understanding.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Being out of the runners lane does not matter because it did not interfere with the throw. The runner was in the proper location when attempting to touch 1B.

The fielder must allow the runner a clear path to a base or that is obstruction. The runner did the right thing by colliding with the 1B rather than stopping short to avoid contact. Getting on the base after the collision is irrelevant because the play should be signaled dead by the umpire and the runner awarded 1B. Very poor technique by the 1B.

My question: Was this the first time that defender played 1B?

Nov 18, 2015
(disclaimer: I haven't re-watched the video since last night) While the runner was inside the baseline, he was taking the most direct path to the base (his swing pulled him so far forward and to the side, and with only 60' to work with (and grass to use as a reference point), it looks exaggerated).

Even if he was in the lane - I think the runner did the right thing, especially if there WAS a safety base. He headed towards the portion of the bag not occupied by the 1B. 1B was standing at the back of the bag (he would have been on the orange bag if there was one). If the fielder is using the safety portion of the bag, doesn't the runner have the right to use the white bag?

Yes, the throw drew the fielder into the runners path - but only b/c the runners path was established by where the fielder initially set up.

If I was there, I'd probably make it a non-call, runner safe, teachable moment, etc. With replay, I'd go with obstruction on 1B.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Pretty bad play on both sides, but I'm not sure what some of you are looking at. The runner isn't even trying to hit the bag. He veers away from the bag and toward 1B's glove hand. In softball, crashing into a player can negate obstruction.

Sep 13, 2020
Pretty bad play on both sides, but I'm not sure what some of you are looking at. The runner isn't even trying to hit the bag. He veers away from the bag and toward 1B's glove hand. In softball, crashing into a player can negate obstruction.

Looked like he veered into the field of play because 1B was straddling the bag. If he wasn't going to run over 1B then he really should have veered into foul. Simultaneously, 1B steps into the field of play with his back foot to receive the ball.

I don't know the baseball rules but in softball I'd call that obstruction by 1B. Veering into fair territory was to avoid the collision caused by the obstruction.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan

I agree. The fielder is blocking the bag at the beginning, but he stretches to catch the ball opening up the back of the bag and the runner runs through his outstretched arm and leg.

Pause it at the 7 second mark.

Oct 11, 2018
couple of comments.
1. Running lane is not only important if throw is coming from behind the runner (plate area). Interfering with the fielder taking the throw at 1st no matter where it is coming from is a violation if out of the lane. [
2. Ball is not dead on obstruction unless obstructed runner is tagged out on the play. Otherwise keep it live (delayed dead ball) until play stops and award bases if necessary.

In this videoe there might have been reason to stop play due to injury.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Where was the runner supposed to go to get to the bag? Through the 1B's legs?

View attachment 19379

I agree in that shot. It's like 2 frames forward. The fielder moves his left foot forward to stretch and the runner veers more into the field and hits his outstretched knee & arm.

It's a case where they both do the wrong thing. If the runner changes his path and veers wide foul it's obstruction too and he's not hurt.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse