Sac Fly... maybe?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
Possible scenario; suppose the fielder thought her catch was the third out and didn't make a throw but carried the ball in. No error = 2 RBI SAC

*EDIT ; oops, I see LEsopftballdad addressed that scenario

Oct 4, 2018
Wow, in most cases I'm not giving a single RBI on that. Someone did something wrong to let the runs score. I will make an exception for a really speedy girl at second and the outfielder dove and was on the ground. But my hunch is that isn't what happened here...

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
Wow, in most cases I'm not giving a single RBI on that. Someone did something wrong to let the runs score. I will make an exception for a really speedy girl at second and the outfielder dove and was on the ground. But my hunch is that isn't what happened here...

As much as it can drive you nuts; mental lapses are not errors ... I sometimes make a notation in the scorebook "BHM" for bone head move, but I've also used and seen "BM9" for bad move right field (or whatever position)

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
As much as it can drive you nuts; mental lapses are not errors ... I sometimes make a notation in the scorebook "BHM" for bone head move, but I've also used and seen "BM9" for bad move right field (or whatever position)
Phil Rizutto used to mark his scorebook with "WW" from time to time. When asked what it stood for, he responded, "Wasn't watching."

I miss the Scooter.

Jan 8, 2019
In a scenario where the fielder was hurt badly enough to move the runner that far, an umpire worth his/her salt should have a dead ball for medical attention, and agree with the 3rd base coach also recognizing that as a good sportsmanship teaching moment.

R9 walking the ball in, I can get a runner from 1st to 3rd without crediting a fielding error, but after that…

Jun 8, 2016
R9 walking the ball in, I can get a runner from 1st to 3rd without crediting a fielding error, but after that…
I cannot see this happening. Imagine the amount of people screaming at the kid that it wasn’t the third out. Remember the kid on 1b was standing on 1b when she caught it..😂

Oct 4, 2018

I agree. However...

What let them score from first on a caught fly ball? A bad throw, a lazy throw, a throw that wasn't caught, a throw over someone's head. I can assign an error there.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
In a scenario where the fielder was hurt badly enough to move the runner that far, an umpire worth his/her salt should have a dead ball for medical attention, and agree with the 3rd base coach also recognizing that as a good sportsmanship teaching moment.

R9 walking the ball in, I can get a runner from 1st to 3rd without crediting a fielding error, but after that
GREEN: I saw an outfielder get trapped under an outfield fence after slipping on wet grass while fielding a ball ... Waving their arms in distress and it was "play on" ... Also saw my second baseman chasing a base runner through the outfield trying to make a tag and the Umpire never killed the play ... In that situation she ended up rolling her ankle and was out for the year ... UGH! The Umpires excuse In the second case; "It's just a scrimmage."

RED: I've also seen a 3rd base coach (in HS ball) with bases loaded only needing one run for the slaughter rule to take effect emphatically waving in all the runners to clear that bases on a ball that got past an outfielder ... Having class is not universal.

BLUE: You mean F9 ... LOL ... I had a F9 back in the REC ball days who was mad at her mother who was in the stands ... Ground ball hit right to her stopping about 10 feet in front of her, she never took a step and stood there looking at the ball ... As you can imagine all of the fans were screaming (as Pattar points out) for her to pick up the ball to no avail ... F3 eventually ran out to get it but it was scored an inside the park HR ... Also in those days had a F3 who was very slow coming in for a bunt ... So I told her we were going to have her stay back on bunts and let F1 & F5 field them ... Next game a hard bunt comes right to her, without taking a step she could have bent over and picked it up ... She pauses, looks at the ball, processes the situation and runs to first base empty handed = no error.

*If you haven't seen crazy stuff that should have never happened but did, keep going to the ball field because you will.

Last edited:

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
I agree. However...

What let them score from first on a caught fly ball? A bad throw, a lazy throw, a throw that wasn't caught, a throw over someone's head. I can assign an error there.

Any of those things would have been an error ... IF this was scored correctly it's likely some sort of brain fart on the part of a fielder.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles