Safety Base/Running Lane in NCAA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Partly because grown men don’t always go along with someone trying to hurt them so politely.
I've long thought that some of the BS I see in women's sports, softball in particular, wouldn't go by without some serious push back if it were men or even boys instead.

Jul 5, 2016
So, does anybody have any idea why the NCAA doesn't specify that a safety bag is used? Who are the opponents? Patrick Murphy is obviously a big supporter, but who is opposed.

The Georgia first baseman was injured last night as a result of incidental contact that probably could have been avoid had there been a safety bag.

Oct 2, 2017
So, does anybody have any idea why the NCAA doesn't specify that a safety bag is used? Who are the opponents? Patrick Murphy is obviously a big supporter, but who is opposed.

The Georgia first baseman was injured last night as a result of incidental contact that probably could have been avoid had there been a safety bag.
Watched that game and I wonder how long that 1st baseman will be out.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I think many of the collisions we see would be avoided if the rule was enforced as written, but I would be happy to see the rule changed to make running in fair territory illegal within the length of the runner's lane. I think this would make it easier for umpires to enforce, keep coaches from abusing the rule, and lower the risk of collision injuries to fielders while not hampering the runner.

The enforcement of the rule has nothing to do with these collisions though.

Also, I'm not sure how your idea would help when the base is in fair territory. You can force runners to be in foul territory for 57 feet, but she has to come back into fair territory to touch the base, and that's where the collisions are happening.

Jul 22, 2015

Also, I'm not sure how your idea would help when the base is in fair territory. You can force runners to be in foul territory for 57 feet, but she has to come back into fair territory to touch the base, and that's where the collisions are happening.
Exactly right on both points. I was old school but I've seen enough injuries now that I completely support a safety base at all levels. I just don't see any downside to a safety base and haven't heard anyone make a credible argument against them.

Jul 5, 2016
Exactly right on both points. I was old school but I've seen enough injuries now that I completely support a safety base at all levels. I just don't see any downside to a safety base and haven't heard anyone make a credible argument against them.
And this is why I would love to know what sort of closed door discussions are being had on this topic within the NCAA rules committee. It just seems like a no-brainer.

Feb 12, 2014

My first priority would be adding the safety base and then enforcing the running lane. Even in sanctions with the safety base, I see kids running down the full length of the baseline in fair territory. Slappers are particularly egregious in this.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
And this is why I would love to know what sort of closed door discussions are being had on this topic within the NCAA rules committee. It just seems like a no-brainer.
My guess: Old school tough guys afraid the safety base will have the appearance of weakness. Girls need another base because they are not tough enough to play with just one base like we do in baseball. Dummies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478