Safety Base/Running Lane in NCAA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2014
Have to wonder how many injuries it will take for the NCAA to finally adopt the safety base at 1B like pretty much every other sanctioning body in the world has done? In the first two weeks of the season, I have seen numerous avoidable collisions, and for every one that is seen in a game there are probably several others in games that are not televised/streamed.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what the hold up is. It's not expensive to install the extra bag, and it would eliminate many of the collisions that are becoming more and more common.

Additionally, I would like to see the runner's lane enforced more uniformly by umpiring crews. It needs to be a point of emphasis. Far too often players (especially slappers) are barreling down on a stationary fielder with a 60 foot head start. The risk of injury is just too high (ask Bailey Dowling). It's to the point now that I believe some people are coaching running in fair territory to slappers so that the window to make the throw on a ball in front of the plate is minimized.

Those two simple steps (mandating the safety base and enforcing the running lane) would virtually eliminate these collisions and the serious injuries that are happening as a result of them.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Have to wonder how many injuries it will take for the NCAA to finally adopt the safety base at 1B like pretty much every other sanctioning body in the world has done? In the first two weeks of the season, I have seen numerous avoidable collisions, and for every one that is seen in a game there are probably several others in games that are not televised/streamed.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what the hold up is. It's not expensive to install the extra bag, and it would eliminate many of the collisions that are becoming more and more common.

Additionally, I would like to see the runner's lane enforced more uniformly by umpiring crews. It needs to be a point of emphasis. Far too often players (especially slappers) are barreling down on a stationary fielder with a 60 foot head start. The risk of injury is just too high (ask Bailey Dowling). It's to the point now that I believe some people are coaching running in fair territory to slappers so that the window to make the throw on a ball in front of the plate is minimized.

Those two simple steps (mandating the safety base and enforcing the running lane) would virtually eliminate these collisions and the serious injuries that are happening as a result of them.
Runners lane is a subjective call that only applies in a small percentage of plays. They should enforce it, but that won’t impact the vast majority of plays

Feb 12, 2014
Runners lane is a subjective call that only applies in a small percentage of plays. They should enforce it, but that won’t impact the vast majority of plays

I think it would impact a significant number of the collisions that are seen at 1B and that is my primary issue. I would take the subjectivity out of the equation. If you're not in the runners lane, you're out. End of story. Make it like the batters box in NCAA - see it, call it, out. Measures have to be taken to protect these student-athletes.

Feb 24, 2022

I agree 100%. Especially when you add in girls wearing metal spikes, it seems like a no brainer to avoid injuries at 1st base. I would much rather see softball be an innovator in player safety than try to emulate baseball. It's not the same game - it's much faster, so we should make sure that we do everything reasonable to promote player safety.

Dec 11, 2010
Some players or teams are very much attempting to make contact.

It’s often obvious.

If you watch first baseman’s foot you know when they avoiding being cleated.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018
CT
I think it would impact a significant number of the collisions that are seen at 1B and that is my primary issue. I would take the subjectivity out of the equation. If you're not in the runners lane, you're out. End of story. Make it like the batters box in NCAA - see it, call it, out. Measures have to be taken to protect these student-athletes.

So we're clear, you're advocating that the rule be changed, not that umpires enforce the current rule, correct?

You're saying that you think runners who do not run in the running lane, should be called out, regardless of whether they interfere with the fielder receiving the ball?

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your angle here.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

But that's not what the runner's lane is for. Are you advocating that we completely change the purpose of the runner's lane? It sounds like you're saying they're not enforcing the rule as written, but nothing in the rule says runner's have to run in that lane at all times.

Feb 12, 2014
So we're clear, you're advocating that the rule be changed, not that umpires enforce the current rule, correct?

You're saying that you think runners who do not run in the running lane, should be called out, regardless of whether they interfere with the fielder receiving the ball?

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your angle here.

Well, I'd be happy if the rule was more uniformly enforced. But, yes, in a perfect world, I am advocating a rule change - run in the lane or you're out. Otherwise, what is the point of the lane?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22