Ways to help younger pitchers stop aiming.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NEF

May 16, 2012
New England
My youngest DD plays on a U12 team that has a hard throwing pitcher that presses harder and harder the more she walks/ hits batters. With my oldest DD who pitches we used several different approaches when she would drift from the strike zone. One of which was a sequence of counting, while pitching, (Her first pitching coach used the sequence when teaching) 1) being the negative move or back arm swing or glove to the side, 2) would be the drive forward or up/out movement, and 3) would be the down/release. If it was side to side issues we used cues line power line and maybe point the glove(to stay open). All of which help her focus and she now uses occasionally to self correct. Just looking for other focusing/pressure relieving ideas.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Soccer player pitching???
Please convert to 12U...lol
Young pitchers want to throw strikes soooo badly that they will compromise every mechanic they've been taught in order to get a k.... consistency in daily practice to trust her mechanics. She needs to fully understand that its her mechanics getting the k's and not her. I say to my 10u pitchers at least twice a game to stop aiming and just snap it off hard. Let the ball go where it wants to go. If you use your mechanics, the ball will always be right where we need it to be. (This is of course is easier said than done but it reiterates to them to focus on their mechanics rather than aiming)
Basic mechanics to remind her of: 1. stay behind your front leg. 2. Keep your arm circle tight to your ear and ribs. 3. Pull it down, don't push. 4. Snap off hard and spin it.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Young pitchers want to throw strikes soooo badly that they will compromise every mechanic they've been taught in order to get a k.... consistency in daily practice to trust her mechanics. She needs to fully understand that its her mechanics getting the k's and not her. I say to my 10u pitchers at least twice a game to stop aiming and just snap it off hard. Let the ball go where it wants to go. If you use your mechanics, the ball will always be right where we need it to be.

^^^I second this^^^

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
My DD is in the "ok, *maybe* I'm starting to believe phase".

She needs constant reminders to stop aiming (which causes her to be a bit forward in posture and release well after whip has occurred...).
When she finds that groove, shes pretty lights out.
And has no answer why she'll revert OUT of that in games and start aiming again, with much lesser success...

Missing the whip robs her of control AND velocity.

I think it's just a matter of constantly reinforcing proper mechanics in practice,
and giving her occasional prodding in games to "trust it". (don't overdo the game-prodding or it will turn into something negative...)

Also have started to advise her, if she's not walking ANY batters in 4+ innings;
then she's probably juicing the ball down the middle too much, and not going for her corner spots enough or throwing hard enough. By challenging herself to "go for it", her pitches will be much harder for the batter to put in play... etc. Seems to be sinking in, slowly...

Last edited:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
One thing I will typically do, especially for a beginning pitcher, is not use a catcher. I will have her throw into a wall or screen so she doesn't have to worry about making the catcher get up and chase the ball - especially if Dad is the catcher.

I will also do this with a more experienced pitcher if I feel she is aiming. I'll have her stand 15-20 feet away from the screen and just focus on her mechanics, executing hard. When she's successful there I will move her back a few feet. If she maintains it I'll either move her back a little more or send her out to the circle to try it again.

Coach James is right about how badly they want to throw strikes. So much so that it becomes a distraction. Taking the catcher out of the equation helps them relax and get back on track.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Without my prompting, DD threw a couple dozen pitches in practice last night while looking at her feet. She threw a higher percentage of those for strikes than when she was looking at her target. Then I asked her if she'd ever heard of Fernando Valenzuela.......

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes. Normal fastball. Get on the pitching rubber. Look at the target and close your eyes. Do not open them, until the ball is gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes