Practice / Drill / Training Ideas for OF

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
Has anyone tried bringing a nerf football and having player line up like a receiver? my DD would love getting to be the quarterback. Side Note: Roger Clemens and Andy Petite used to get their running in being the receiver.

I don't think our children have enough unstructured physical play time. For my children, as soon as it is their choice of play, they go to E devices.

I did that a few times with my rec team in 3rd or 4th grades - they loved it. It worked well to take away the fear of the harder ball. Now that they’re older, I should bring it back for a practice or two so I can show off my spirals, I mean help them chase down fly balls. :)

Patter - yes - football @ lunchtime recess was pretty much a given from 3rd - 8th grades. Made true over the shoulder catches easier on the diamond.

My daughter started playing flag football, and I’m realizing things like route running, and especially defensive concepts, are really lacking in most of the girls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 20, 2023
florida
I am one of the assistant coaches for a 10U team that is starting 12u games this fall. We have a CF who struggles with making catches on fly balls that are either short of her position or that make her go to her glove side, which is to her right. She will run very tentatively and with her glove arm out as she approaches the balls. She does not do this when the ball is hit to her throwing hand side.

Does anyone have any suggestions for drills or things to try in practice with her to help her improve? We spent most of the summer hitting fly balls, line drives, and anything else we could think of at her to get her experience but she did not improve as much as we would like.

This is a fast, athletic kid who has really taken to playing center field but she really has a hole in her game right now that we need to fill. Anything anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.
A good one that my coach used to do was this:

give then 3 balls to throw around between right center, and left field. And if they drop all three within 5 minutes they have to run a foul pole.

Mar 20, 2023
florida
You have to teach one handed catching? I'd be thrilled if my players would use two hands :)
I play high school ball and we use one hand, when you catch you can use two hands but its for safety, becuase if that players hand gets hit with a fast pitch you could get hurt. And this is coking from a catcher that got her teeth knocked out by a softball at age 13.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478