Total Noob Need Help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2010
I don't get that alot of folks here are pressuring their DD's to be the next Jennie Finch. In fact, I think most here are parents of the next Jennie Finch, or whoever, and have DD's that really love the game.

About a bat, Jessica Mendoza. It's a composite bat, in your price range, and does well. DD had one last year. It needs some time to get pop. But after about 3-400 hits ( easily done off a T ), it's a great bat.

Last year after the season was over the bat was selling on amazon for $39. Looks like the price has gone up.

Amazon.com: Louisville Slugger TPS Mendoza FP86M (-11) Fastpitch Softball Bat: Sports & Outdoors

Turns out shes a natural hitting several home runs and really loving the game. Not knowing if she would stick with it or not, I picked up a used 30-20 Worth Powercell and a local 2nd had store for $3.00 which she now calls her "lucky bat". After doing so well her first season a coach from one of the local comp teams asked her to try out for a position which she somehow managed to beat out girls with 3-5 years experience and get (to my surprise).

......calls it her 'lucky bat' ....IMO nuff said, no new bat needed! Sounds like your the one who wants this new bat thinking it'll be a homerun derby every at bat.....please, Don't be that guy!!
Let her experience this comp team she just made(congrats btw) and see how her complete game developes....along with her passion. I'm sure her new teamates are willing to share bats, espescially if she hit as good as you say. If her lucky bat is that hot her whole team could end up using hers. Bottom line is your DD's new to the game, enjoy the moment, if her career takes off you will get tons of equipment advice from her experienced coaches,
Lastly IMO iif DD really has passion and wants to fully dive in, spend the $200 on a great hitting coach.
I've seen it happen often (in rec) where a kid is smashing the ball with any bat, hyped up parents hurry up n get her a highend bat, kids all pumped up with excitement...next game w new bat strikes out! then another K...and another. Panic sets in and all hell breaks loose, reverts back to "Lucky Bat'.....BAM...another K. If it ain't broke....you know the rest
Good luck on your season. Oh yeah....as a "noobie' to the game and being a former player, do your DD a favor and encourage her with the whole team thing....not just hitting. With her beating out a few kids to be on this team could fill your head with high expectations. Let her do her thing oot there and simply enjoy watching her play....
Not too many kids under 12 hit the ball consistantly 200+ feet.

Nov 17, 2010
Being an athlete all my life I witnessed tons of kids getting burned out at an early age mostly due to parents that over pressured them. I'm just not interested in being one of "those" parents. I think I will go back to lurking in the shadows taking the good info here to heart when I read it and taking all the other info with a grain of salt lol.

Great point, PP. The only way to improve the conversation is to have different perspectives give their take on things.
Please stick around - if you do, I'm sure you'll find many that have daughters with similar goals to yours.

To me, softball is a way that my daughter can learn the benefit of hard work, perseverance, trust, communication, and teamwork. And if she has some fun along the way - even better! :).

Mar 30, 2011
I never really thought much about getting her a new bat until her coach pointed out that at 5ft the 30" might be a little short for her. Her teammates give her a hard time about this old beat up bat and she has expressed a desire to get a new one.

I feel I need to define her hitting ability a little better because perhaps the words "Home Run" should not have been used. She has never hit it out of the park but has hit it to the fence a few times. I will admit that most of her "Home Runs" come by ways of errors from the other team. But lets face most do at the 10yr old level. I have yet to see a 10yr old hit it out of the park but who knows I'm sure there are some that can. She has great eye hand coordination and can get a pc of almost anything thrown her way. Does she have perfect form..No. Do I think she is destined to be a HR Derby winner...My answer is, if she wants to be. Sure I will admit my wife and I had thoughts of Scholarships and all that but I'm a realist I know how kids come and go from things like this, Ive seen it hundreds of times. I think I will consider a hitting coach and after doing some reading Ive decided to go with the Wally Word Demarini Bustos 31-20. Cant go wrong with a Bustos for $40.00 that's even cheaper then the Cat.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2011
Great point, PP. The only way to improve the conversation is to have different perspectives give their take on things.
Please stick around - if you do, I'm sure you'll find many that have daughters with similar goals to yours.

To me, softball is a way that my daughter can learn the benefit of hard work, perseverance, trust, communication, and teamwork. And if she has some fun along the way - even better! :).

Thanks Darken I think I will. I was just a little surprised how quick people were to rip on a 10yr old....wow

Jul 26, 2010
My daughter has a Cat Osterman Dimarini that she uses to hit machine balls in the cage. The bat goes for $50-$70 in most sporting good stores and is a -11. I think that may be a good option for you to stick in your price range.

-W

Mar 13, 2010
I never really thought much about getting her a new bat until her coach pointed out that at 5ft the 30" might be a little short for her. Her teammates give her a hard time about this old beat up bat and she has expressed a desire to get a new one.

Just of note, I'm 5'7 and I can comfortably use a 32 (though mine is a 34) I don't think 30 is too small for her at this point.

In regards to the home run discussion, it was more for you, not her. Who would tell their daughter that she hasn't hit a home run by the score book? Not me, I had it done at my age, so I know the devestation that would do to a little one.

And I don't have a daughter, I'm a coach.

To me, buying a bat to get an over the fence home run defeats the purpose of the game. The goal should be to teach her to get the best possible hit herself. When she's played a bit longer and has a better swing, than you can go get the super exy bat. I had the same bat for ten years because I loved it so much. It was my lucky white bat (because at 11 I decided I could only hit with white bats. My mum rolled her eyes and bought me a Lisa Fernendez bat) and I loved it. My coach at 21 threw it away because it was so dead.

Last edited:

sru

Jun 20, 2008
+1 on the Demarini Cat Osterman, My DD's 10U team had one, she loved it, could hit deep (for a 10 yo) too.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Thanks Darken I think I will. I was just a little surprised how quick people were to rip on a 10yr old....wow

PP - from what I have read, no one was "ripping" your DD, they were questioning your emphasis on her hitting a "home run" and helping you put things in perspective. IMO, at 10YO, the focus should be on proper hitting mechanics to hit consistent, line drives. Home runs is just a by-product of proper hitting techniques.

Mar 30, 2011
I understand what people are saying, I'm just not used to hearing it yet. I have two older boys 19 -20 another girl 12 and none of them had any interest in sports. Ever since my youngest 10 showed an interest Ive been on cloud 9. Even though I know what all of you said is true, I will admit it stung a little because in my eyes shes the greatest player on earth right now lol. I need to ready myself for some constructive criticism of her abilities so I can help her improve. Shes just my baby girl and I'm her proud papa lol BTW whats DD (told ya I was a noob lol)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck