Bat advice for new player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 1, 2024
Hi everyone. New to the forums. My daughter started playing 14U last year. We only have played/practiced during season of softball. To many other activities going on. Right now she is using a 32/21. Her height is just above 5ft. Around 140#. By measurement, looks like she could use 31 or 32. But doesn't seem to have a strong bat swing yet. I know she needs to fix mechanics and build strength still. That being said, would it be best to get a 31/21, 31/20, 31/19 or 32/20 to give her more control so she can be more consistent in her swing? I feel like the 32/21 is either to long or just a tad heavier for that bat length. She has tried a 30/19 and looked a little more in control and noticeable more bat speed but she felt it was short to the 32. As far connecting on pitches, about same or less since it look like she was used to the 32 and missed having the extra 2in. covering move plate if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
Understand that without seeing her swing with each, I am going on general guides for her size and age. 31 or 32. 30 is too small. Something that is more balanced and true to weight like mizuno power carbon or Demarini CF . Definitely not a -12.

Mar 1, 2024
I understand. Just want to start with a good bat size and weight to deter bad habits happening. So seems that I should try 31 -11 or -10 instead of drop -12 in 32. I was leaning that way.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Before you spend a lot of money on a bat, have you considered having her take a few lessons first? The cost of a composite bat, even with discounts from us vendors, still would equal 5-10 lessons, depending on where you live. Those lessons will do way more than the new bat can. And, if the instructor is proficient, they can lead you to the appropriate size bat.

That's just my two cents.

May 29, 2015
My free advice would be to take her somewhere she can experiment and see what she likes. While we can offer guides and suggested dimensions, nothing is a substitute for just letting a hitter hit.

I was a power hitter most of my "career" and swung a 31" bat all the way through my time. Guys made fun of my bat until they saw me hit. I tried a bigger bat as I got bigger, but never liked it.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
At 5ft and 140..she is not small. 30/19 is a very small bat and although she swings it faster, she should be into a bigger
bat.
Kinda sounds like she needs to work out a bit or practice a lot and just gain some softball muscle (all the muscles used in a swing).
I would not blow 300+ bucks on some new bat when she could possible outgrow it instantly if she gets a better swing
down.
Now price wise, i would look used at this point of her journey until she gets a little bit figured out. If looking new,
Mizuno Power Carbons are the best bang for the buck and very balanced and on sticker weight

Mar 1, 2024
At 5ft and 140..she is not small. 30/19 is a very small bat and although she swings it faster, she should be into a bigger
bat.
Kinda sounds like she needs to work out a bit or practice a lot and just gain some softball muscle (all the muscles used in a swing).
I would not blow 300+ bucks on some new bat when she could possible outgrow it instantly if she gets a better swing
down.
Now price wise, i would look used at this point of her journey until she gets a little bit figured out. If looking new,
Mizuno Power Carbons are the best bang for the buck and very balanced and on sticker weight
Exactly what I was thinking as far as not buying new, expensive yet. Trying to get an idea to start with and once we know a size she is comfortable with, get a better bat.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles