Total Noob Need Help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 30, 2011
Ok, first let me say that although I played ball when I was younger, I have no clue whats good and whats not these days lol.

Last fall my 10 yr old daughter expressed a desire to play Bonnet ball which was a mix of a few experienced girls but mostly first timers like her. Turns out shes a natural hitting several home runs and really loving the game. Not knowing if she would stick with it or not, I picked up a used 30-20 Worth Powercell and a local 2nd had store for $3.00 which she now calls her "lucky bat". After doing so well her first season a coach from one of the local comp teams asked her to try out for a position which she somehow managed to beat out girls with 3-5 years experience and get (to my surprise). Shes a very strong kid at 5ft & 105lbs she can already pick her 150lb mom up off the ground and carry her around lol.

Ok Ok to the point:eek: I'm looking for a decent bat in the $50.00 - $70.00 range with a -13 so I can get her something like a 31-18 or maybe a -12 in a 31-19. She gets the 20oz around pretty good and in her 16 at bats so far this year has only been stuck out four times most for going after bad pitches. Im not afraid to spend more but shes still so new to the game that I would hate to spend $200+ on a bat only to have her decide she doesn't like it anymore.

All opinions welcome, like I said I have no idea whats a good bat these days they didn't have half and half bats or full composites back when I played.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long winded first post but as my name states, I'm a Proud Papa.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
You do know, that those aren't home runs. Right?

With a 30 inch, 20 ounce bat that costs $200.00, she may actually hit a home run. There is no need to drop her down in weight. Can she experiment with a friends bat, to see what she likes?

If she quits, you can re-sell the bat.

Mar 13, 2010
Echoing Amy, that wasn't a home run. It was a good hit, don't get me wrong, but the batting wasn't top notch.

I've seen people here reference DeMarini trials, where you can borrow bats. That might be worth a shot. Or see if you can borrow a friend's bat.

Sep 3, 2009
If she's strong like you say, I wouldn't consider less than a -10. If she can maintain swingspeed with -10 or -9, then you'll see some bombs.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
good hit-not a HR, barely a 2B. Get her a composite bat,
a good used composite will give her noticeably more pop.
Good luck, you should be proud as it was a solid hit

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
If you're looking for a good bat in the $50 to $70 range, the Easton Mystique aluminum bat (-11.5) is a very good bat for the money. It doesn't have the pop of a $200 composite bat, but swings very well and hits the ball reasonably far.

Mar 30, 2011
DO I know its wasn't a HR, yes I do but am I going to rain on her little parade heavens no. Goodness guys shes played less then 20 games her entire life I know her hitting isn't "top notch" yet and we are working on it but I figure a new bat is a good place to start.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Ok, first let me say that although I played ball when I was younger, I have no clue whats good and whats not these days lol.

Last fall my 10 yr old daughter expressed a desire to play Bonnet ball which was a mix of a few experienced girls but mostly first timers like her. Turns out shes a natural hitting several home runs and really loving the game. Not knowing if she would stick with it or not, I picked up a used 30-20 Worth Powercell and a local 2nd had store for $3.00 which she now calls her "lucky bat". After doing so well her first season a coach from one of the local comp teams asked her to try out for a position which she somehow managed to beat out girls with 3-5 years experience and get (to my surprise). Shes a very strong kid at 5ft & 105lbs she can already pick her 150lb mom up off the ground and carry her around lol.

Ok Ok to the point:eek: I'm looking for a decent bat in the $50.00 - $70.00 range with a -13 so I can get her something like a 31-18 or maybe a -12 in a 31-19. She gets the 20oz around pretty good and in her 16 at bats so far this year has only been stuck out four times most for going after bad pitches. Im not afraid to spend more but shes still so new to the game that I would hate to spend $200+ on a bat only to have her decide she doesn't like it anymore.

All opinions welcome, like I said I have no idea whats a good bat these days they didn't have half and half bats or full composites back when I played.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long winded first post but as my name states, I'm a Proud Papa.

OMG you just posted your wife's weight on the internet. Hope you have a nice doghouse.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Welcome, Proud Papa. I hope we weren't too hard on you. There are some other sites that would have put you through the wringer.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2011
I guess I'm just not at the stage where I take it quite as serious as you guys seem to. After spending a little time reading some of the threads I realize that you guys all seem to look at your 10 yr old as the next Jennie Finch. I may get to that point if she sticks with it but for now I look at her and think wow, it would be cool if she is still playing this in High School.
Being an athlete all my life I witnessed tons of kids getting burned out at an early age mostly due to parents that over pressured them. I'm just not interested in being one of "those" parents. I think I will go back to lurking in the shadows taking the good info here to heart when I read it and taking all the other info with a grain of salt lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32