To tryout or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 28, 2012
My dd plays for a successful travel team(not local) and has no plans to leave it. A local team is having tryouts this weekend. She wants to tryout just to see where she stands with the local talent. I tell her she shouldnt waste the teams time or hers if she has no desire to play for them but she still wants to tryout. What do you guys think?

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Tryouts are not practice. They are designed to evaluate potential incoming talent. They are absolutely not designed to be used as a self evaluating talent gauge. Don't waste anyone's time if you have no intention of wanting on that team.

Jun 24, 2013
Just ask the coach.

I wouldn’t say she is going there to practice, I would say something along the lines is that your DD is happy where she currently is but is interested in your organization, since it is local, for possible future opportunities.

I am not good with words but just ask the coach. You might need them latter so do not burn any bridges.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I specifically had my DD try out for two teams before we went to the tryout for the team she wanted to join. I had her do this for the same reason that I interviewed for a few positions I didn't want when I came out of college years ago. Trying out is a skill in and of itself and you need practice at the skill. Sure it is pretty much a practice, but it is a practice with a bunch of unfamiliar girls and coaches and it can make a kid nervous. I plan on continuing this as we move on in travel ball. As for the waste of time, I think that is minimal in a group environment, it is not like she is going to cause the tryout to go longer, they usually have a set time. And you never know, maybe she sees something she likes about the org. If I were a coach of a TB team I would have no problem with this even a 2% chance of maybe putting my org on a good players list of possible teams would be better than a 0% chance.

May 28, 2012
I'm thinking she might want to play with them but doesn't know what the DW and I would say. It would be perfectly fine by us. Actually easier on us. Its her decision. I didn't want her to pitch but she does. I didn't want her to play middle school ball but she does. Its totally up to her.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Wasting time ratio: ???

You waste a coaches time, but can bring inspiration to 12-24 other players. The coach is getting ready to waste the time of 12+ players he doesn't pick up, unless it is PRACTICE for the girls that don't have a shot. It gives them an insight on what they need to learn, and their supporters.

It is a much needed Pressure Practice.... very hard to come by anyother way....

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
There are many threads that essentially start like this:

"Would it be wrong to ... ''

The answer is usually the same: Respectfully ask the person who might be offended. In this case, it's the coach. Just ask.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoebeschultz