Tipping Pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2021
The intentionality of a pitcher tipping a ball depends on the circumstances. Tipping pitches can be regarded as purposeful if they are done as part of a team's strategy to disrupt the routines and momentum of the opposition.
Nonetheless, in instances where a pitcher unintentionally produces hand signals that he may not be aware of, this can be regarded as not intentional. There are so many different moves in baseball that it is hardly surprising that pitchers sometimes tip throws off.

Sep 1, 2021
The intentionality of a pitcher tipping a ball depends on the circumstances. Tipping pitches can be regarded as purposeful if they are done as part of a team's strategy to disrupt the routines and momentum of the opposition.
Nonetheless, in instances where a pitcher unintentionally produces hand signals that he may not be aware of, this can be regarded as not intentional. There are so many different moves in baseball that it is hardly surprising that pitchers sometimes tip throws off.
I'm usually not a fan of reviving a decade old thread, but when you can provide such insight, who am I to judge. Thanks for another hit and run.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Would this be the pitcher basically saying, here comes the high heat and you can't hit it.
That might be disruptive.

Nov 18, 2015
I kind of like the idea of pretending you're tipping a pitch, but throwing something different. The higher the level of play, the more likely it is to work one or two times a game (reasoning being no ones really picking at 10C).

Jul 14, 2018
Always fun to see threads from when DD first started tee ball.

At her last lesson, DD and her PC were discussing the recent struggles of Montana Fouts. Her coach thought that the new out-of-the-glove motion was sacrificing velocity to add deception.

“You know what’s deceptive,” she said. “72 miles per hour.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 21, 2008
I can tell you that when I am throwing live BP to girls, most of the time behind a screen and without a glove, I know the girls are watching and reading my hand and grip on the ball (which is what they are supposed to do). They are taught to take the advantage when they can get it. Now and then, I will grip the ball like a riseball ball (a noticeable difference from my drop for example) and then I'll change my grip during the arm circle to something else. Most of the time this results in a swing/miss, then a look that could kill from the hitter knowing that she'd been duped. I mean, come on... I can't let them win all the time!! Right?

Aug 21, 2008
Always fun to see threads from when DD first started tee ball.

At her last lesson, DD and her PC were discussing the recent struggles of Montana Fouts. Her coach thought that the new out-of-the-glove motion was sacrificing velocity to add deception.

“You know what’s deceptive,” she said. “72 miles per hour.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I doubt she's lost anything too significant with speed. I can't speak for her or anyone else but, personally I'd gladly accept the trade of losing a few MPH's in exchange for not letting the hitter know what's coming.

That said, and as I think I gave my opinion on earlier, I sincerely doubt THIS is the reason for her struggles. Of course, I could be wrong about that. I'm not her coach nor do I spend my free time watching Alabama softball so it's hard for me to say definitively. It's easy to look at the pitching wind-up difference and conclude that's the issue. But, there's other things it could be: new pitching coach? new pitch caller? new catcher? Injury? lack of hard work in the off season? I have no clue. Someone had mentioned to me yesterday that Alabama lost another player or 2 to the portal and there's issues within the Tide softball culture. This same person told me Fouts also pitched against a very weak opponent the other day, someone that you wouldn't think she'd pitch against but now says she's having some pain in the bicep. So, it's hard to say what's happening. Maybe she pitched against the weaker team to try some new things to help her get on track? But, it sounds like she's having some "over use" injuries.

May 27, 2013
I didn’t watch the game for too long but what I did briefly see was Fouts‘ velocity in the mid-60’s. Maybe I didn’t see her faster pitches since I didn’t watch too long but I don’t ever really recall her throwing less than 67 in previous seasons. I saw a few 64’s and they certainly didn’t look like change-ups.

Oct 26, 2019
I kind of like the idea of pretending you're tipping a pitch, but throwing something different. The higher the level of play, the more likely it is to work one or two times a game (reasoning being no ones really picking at 10C).
Something along these same lines that can be very effective if not overused. Shaking off a pitch. When a pitcher shakes off the hitter most often thinks offspeed. Pitchers also rarely shake off anymore with so many coaches calling pitches. We do what we call a “fake shake”. Pitcher shakes off and hitter thinks offspeed, then we throw a fastball by the hitter.

Aug 21, 2008
I didn’t watch the game for too long but what I did briefly see was Fouts‘ velocity in the mid-60’s. Maybe I didn’t see her faster pitches since I didn’t watch too long but I don’t ever really recall her throwing less than 67 in previous seasons. I saw a few 64’s and they certainly didn’t look like change-ups.
Ok, but there's still plenty we don't know. For example, she may have made a conscience decision to turn the velocity down, hoping it will enhance the movement? It's a very difficult thing to do in a game, when adrenaline is pumping the crowd is cheering, etc. to not throw your absolute hardest. But, sometimes that's what it takes when the ball is flat. There was many many games when I'd be struggling to get the ball to move, and all it took was for me to turn the velocity down a notch. Over-throwing is the #2 cause for a pitch to not move (#1 is improper spin). It takes a special kind of discipline to realize the overthrowing might be what's causing the ball to be flat, getting yourself to take something off the pitch (maybe 5% or 10%) to obtain the movement.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA