Throwing Balls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
HS pitching coach called a time out (after my DD struck a girl out) and told my DD she was throwing too many strikes.

Their armbands don't have any indication of where to throw the pitch. Basically just FB, C, CU, R, etc. Her travel team uses code to allow for purposeful misses inside or outside. Basically on her travel team location is part of the pitch calling, and it can be corners or off the plate.

Thoughts?

May 17, 2012
It could be good news in that Coach is giving some leeway but every time it goes south your DD will be on the hook most likely.

So we have intentional misses or intentional balls. We almost exclusively intentionally miss with the fastball and the count will dictate by how far this miss is in ball lengths.

For example, on a 0-2 count it could be a fastball away. This will be a fastball off the plate two-ball lengths. We just signal in fastball away, the two ball lengths are implied by the count.

You don't want to micromanage but you want to be on the same page when you are throwing strikes and you are trying to miss.

Apr 14, 2022
HS pitching coach called a time out (after my DD struck a girl out) and told my DD she was throwing too many strikes.

Their armbands don't have any indication of where to throw the pitch. Basically just FB, C, CU, R, etc. Her travel team uses code to allow for purposeful misses inside or outside. Basically on her travel team location is part of the pitch calling, and it can be corners or off the plate.

Thoughts?
I do not think you want the pitcher making that call. It might easy 0-2, but what about 1-2 or 2-2.
Even 0-2 it would be helpful to know what pitch would be next as to where to miss.
The other question is how does this work with the catcher?

Oct 4, 2018
I do not think you want the pitcher making that call. It might easy 0-2, but what about 1-2 or 2-2.
Even 0-2 it would be helpful to know what pitch would be next as to where to miss.

Catcher not involved.

Oct 4, 2018
It could be good news in that Coach is giving some leeway but every time it goes south your DD will be on the hook most likely.

So we have intentional misses or intentional balls. We almost exclusively intentionally miss with the fastball and the count will dictate by how far this miss is in ball lengths.

For example, on a 0-2 count it could be a fastball away. This will be a fastball off the plate two-ball lengths. We just signal in fastball away, the two ball lengths are implied by the count.

You don't want to micromanage but you want to be on the same page when you are throwing strikes and you are trying to miss.

Right? I talked to my DD and said "yes, you know how to pitch. And you hit your spots. Of course you can decide when to miss and by how much. And you can decide that on every pitch."

"However, if you purposefully miss on 2-2 your pitch caller probably gets upset. And if you throw a strike on 1-2 perhaps they get upset."

It's just too vague and no one is a mind reader.

May 13, 2023
Their armbands don't have any indication of where to throw the pitch. Basically just FB, C, CU, R, etc.

Her travel team uses code to allow for purposeful misses inside or outside. Basically on her travel team location is part of the pitch calling, and it can be corners or off the plate.

Thoughts?
⬆️This part is SMART ⬆️

May 20, 2015
we called location/pitch......but i taught my catchers/pitchers that those calls are nuanced, and we count dependent......a high outside fastball looks different 0-2 vs 2-2

we had code words early on......something like "wet" for something that was out of the zone (wet because it ends up in the river)....."shark" for something we wanted a bite on (a bite of the plate)......i also tended to shake my signs.....if it was a "3" location and i shook it more in that direction (outside or low) the "shake" was a modifier

we tried to keep it simple, with just a number for pitch and a number for location, but used the "modifiers", both my movement and the extra words, to teach catchers & pitchers the nuanced differences based on count/situations

example: i call a 1/1 on an 0-2 count, and on the 2nd 1 i shake my finger skyward a few times.....my catcher knew it was a high inside fastball that we wanted out of the zone, hoping for a chase....she would give that same call to her pitcher, who knew the extra waggle would put it out of the zone

over time they both learned that nuance

probably unconventional, as most of my stuff tended to be, but over time they all started to learn the process of what we were trying to do (did my low, outside screwball catch the corner for a called 1st strike? let's go lower and more away with the next pitch and get a chase....), rather than me making calls and they blindly following a number sequence without any thought as to what we were doing or why....to point now where my HS catcher and i (yeah, she's DD2) don't really bother with the modifiers because she knows, and so do her pitchers (although she'll modify it for them at times).......then again, most of the time she just calls the game herself at this point, and just looks to me for an occasional affirmation......both my HS pitchers and my travel pitchers this year told us we pretty much call things the same

we also spent time in between innings talking sequencing or going over mistakes, and whether those mistakes were missed locations vs calls in the wrong location/wrong pitch, etc

Jun 18, 2023

Were they called strikes or swinging strikes? I don't know why you would ever intentionally miss on 0-2 or 1-2 if the batter had two swinging strikes.

Jul 11, 2023
Catcher not involved.
Guess we don't think framing/presenting is a thing then eh?

I really have no business in pitching threads other than my DD is a catcher and it's nice to know what others are working on and when and what age level so we can be prepared. Catcher not involved seems the default position and they're just supposed to magically show up and know and do everything.

Sorry for my rant. lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles