Let's Play Detective

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Absolutely agreed. It's about 50/50 in my area of fields (HS, LL, etc.) that do it. Some choose to, some don't. The league I coach in/organize only runs from late June to early August, so it's not a MAJOR issue. It actually started in the LL program I officiated in many years ago. They wanted to prevent kids behind the backstops from being a distraction (yelling at the batter, trying to throw off the pitcher, etc.) Ever since I've coached, it's just become a habit to "tarp up the backstop" to prevent it before it happens, and old habits die the hardest.
It's rec so not a big deal but college coaches probably wouldn't appreciate it much..lol. Wouldn't bother me..I am allergic to sitting (actually standing..ok, pacing) near any parents.

Jun 1, 2015
Certainly. Luckily, we don't get many (if any) college scouts coming to our HS games in my area. One local travel team does a college showcase twice a year (Father's Day and Columbus Day weekends) where the backstops are intentionally corded off for college coaches/recruiters to watch. This I don't mind because the scouts actually talk to our guys behind the plate between half-innings about what we felt we saw from the pitchers/catchers. Makes us feel like our opinions matter, though we often don't try to give much as we don't want to sway anyone one way or the other.

Oct 4, 2018
And this is the EXACT reason I put a black/blue tarp on the fence behind home plate whenever I coach my 16U rec team. I don't need/want any distractions (friends, little kids, parents, whoever) throwing off ANY pitcher (my own or my opponent's pitchers). It makes it pretty obvious when it ends up coming from down the sidelines who's causing it. Plus, they are relatively cheap, and with a few zip-ties here and there, it's a once-up, once-down matter.

We play at fields that have screens but most fields don't. I kind of like the ones that don't. I feel (and could be wrong) that it's good for my DD to pitch with a lot of distractions behind the plate to learn to zone them out and focus.

Again, I could be way off.

Jan 31, 2011
I know people won't do this since the cheating is working against the team and to your advantage ...

But dad calling pitches from outside the dugout is illegal. You mentioned a college catcher, so I'm not sure what rule set this was under. NCAA would have the head coach ejected first, then the offender.

NFHS allows a warning or an ejection at the umpire's discretion. USA and USSSA are warn, then eject/restrict.

Can you help me find the NFHS rule on this? I had it happen last season with a rival school, a dad calling pitches outside the dugout. When I brought it up to the ump, he said there was nothing he could do about it. The opposing HC was new, so I'm sure he wanted the help. However, every coach must be in the dugout. If you're calling pitches, you are a coach.

May 29, 2015
Can you help me find the NFHS rule on this? I had it happen last season with a rival school, a dad calling pitches outside the dugout. When I brought it up to the ump, he said there was nothing he could do about it. The opposing HC was new, so I'm sure he wanted the help. However, every coach must be in the dugout. If you're calling pitches, you are a coach.

You nailed the critical piece of information right there ... Is he coaching? Then he is a coach. Am I going to apply this to Daddy Perfection telling his kid to choke up? No. Calling pitches? You bet your tuchus that is coaching. You aren't helping your kid, you are contributing to the game.

3-6-5 and 3-6-6 state

ART. 5 . . . Entering the area behind the catcher while the opposing pitcher and catcher are in their positions is prohibited.

ART. 6 . . . Only the batter, runner(s), on-deck batter, coaches in the coach’s box, bat/ball shaggers or one of the nine players on defense (S.P. 10) are permitted to be outside the designated dugout/bench or designated warm-up areas. (3-5-7)

For facetime dad, there is also 1-8-6

ART. 6 . . . The use of electronic devices by team personnel to transmit or record information pertaining to their players or team's performance shall be permitted within the team's dugout/bench area only. Information obtained from an electronic device may be used for coaching purposes during the game.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Certainly. Luckily, we don't get many (if any) college scouts coming to our HS games in my area. One local travel team does a college showcase twice a year (Father's Day and Columbus Day weekends) where the backstops are intentionally corded off for college coaches/recruiters to watch. This I don't mind because the scouts actually talk to our guys behind the plate between half-innings about what we felt we saw from the pitchers/catchers. Makes us feel like our opinions matter, though we often don't try to give much as we don't want to sway anyone one way or the other.
When I coached LL and Rec ball, I always kept an Easton helmet hanger on the dugout fence to keep the parents from talking to their kids during the game. If it was an emergency, that would be different. Most of the time, it was useless stuff anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812