Emotional Stability in the Circle.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Late to this post, but it's a really good one.

I had a girl pitch for me for four years. Not a great pitcher, but often the only one I had. Our team also wasn't all that good usually. She was our pitcher for the first four years of our program (we developed more as she got older, but nobody ever surpassed her). I was always impressed by how she was able to handle some of those really bad innings. Never lost her cool, never showed up teammates. Body language was never bad.

A couple years ago I was watching her pitch for another team and she had a panic attack during the game. A while later -- either later that same year or the next -- I saw it happen again. It turns out she wasn't just a cool customer in the circle. She was just stuffing all the frustration and stress down and it led to some serious issues (I don't know if a panic attack is a mental issue, a physical one, or both).

While it wouldn't have been good is she went off on teammates for making errors, finding an outlet for that pent up energy would obviously have been healthier for her. I wasn't the one who told her to be that way, but I also didn't recognize what was going on with her. If I had, I may have been able to get her to be a little more expressive when needed or helped her find healthy ways to handle that pressure and anger and everything else.

Long story short: RAD, I think getting a handle on personalities is one of the most important jobs of a coach. Maybe the most important, especially when dealing with teenagers.
Good read 👍

Possibly when young people are going through these types of battles sometimes it gets looked at as just drama.
In general think people learning to deal with their frustrations is a difficult task at all ages, + teenager/young adult.
Underlying issues can come out in different ways.

The pitcher was speaking of wanted to win and try so hard that she would over plow situations instead of manage them. Things would get over exaggerated body language verbiage.
Take situations over the top. Which could change dynamic in the game.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
A bomb exploding would be more appropriate..and the result of that was this:

View attachment 25063
The pitcher in this post quit her fourth year in college.
Complaining about playing time. And blaming the coach.
People feel pressure in different ways and from different things hard to recognize if people just think it's drama

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478