Emotional Stability in the Circle.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
RAD, I don't wanna put words in your mouth but based on what you wrote, it seems the other 2 pitchers were instructed to keep their emotions in check. In all probability, this #3 girl was told that too. But, some people don't have that personality. I didn't have that trait either, while I tried not to show up the umpires I would absolutely talk to them between innings and tell them what I think. If done in the right way, in right context, I think the majority of umpires want feed back. But, again, it depends on how someone goes about the feedback. A famous conversation in a highly tense match between the #1 and 2 teams in the world during the final of an invitational tournament when the umpire was having an awful game (he apologized to both teams after because he knew he was awful) went like this:

Unnamed player (pitcher) "Chris, you better pull your head out. I can't throw it over the middle to this team and that plate isn't round, it's got corners. I'm a good enough pitcher to hit those corners!"

Umpire Chris: Calm down Bi... I mean, calm down "Bob". Keep your emotions and words in check here, I'd hate to toss you in this situation.

Unnamed player: OH yea? Can you toss me out for what I THINK of your calls??

Umpire Chris: No, not for what you think. Only what you say.

Unnamed player: Good, cause I think you absolutely suck today!!!

The ol' Jimmy Valvano.

Oct 4, 2018
Yup, a Team USA player who gave our girls a clinic last year said this:

"If something in the game upsets you, let it. Let it upset you for 5 seconds, then move on."

I like it. Can be used in many situations and really does come down to "focus on the next pitch" for pitchers.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
This post is not to say you cannot have emotion in the game, emotion can also be energy.

This topic more about what a player does when their frustrated and how that gets filtered, handled, vented, dispersed, ignored,
rolled off the back or not.

Perhaps for the personality challenged player taking a five-second breather to not react wrong may be a good solution for them.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2016
This is a tough one Rad, I mean umpires at girls fastpitch event are a little much nowadays they are quick to shut things down and eject these young players if they speak out....Example, last year in Colorado a blue called out my pitcher for using Gorilla Gold she spoke out and said it was legal and he ejected her (I was in the bathroom coming out when this occurred). I ran over and I explained to him that it is perfectly legal and and when the head Umpire came out he confirmed it and allowed her back in the game. Example #2 I had another girl who voiced her disdain for the blues strike zone by drawing a line where the other box is because that is where he had called a strike the previous pitch he did not like that and ejected her!!

I appreciate when the girls speak out I kind of encourage it to an extent but unfortunately because of how these umps perceive their speaking out as disrespect. Its almost not worth the drama that follows I tell my girls to taper it during big tournys

Feb 15, 2017
I'm sorry, example 2 is not a good example. I'd be embarassed if my DD ever did that.
It is one thing to disagree, it is another to show the umpire up. Who taught her to do that and who thought it was appropriate behavior?

For the record, that gets you yacked in baseball and softball.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jun 20, 2016
It is one thing to disagree, it is another to show the umpire up. Who taught her to do that and who thought it was appropriate behavior?

For the record, that gets you yacked in baseball and softball.

I hear you and I agree with you not the best example but for what it’s worth she was a good kid played with a lot of tenacity and passion she played for me a couple years ago and is now at Iowa State her uncle played in the Seattle mariner’s organization and was a huge influence in her life I’m guessing he gave her some bad advice lol!!!

I didn’t mean to get off of subject but I don’t understand why it’s frowned upon if girls get a little vocal with the umpires I still play Men’s Fast Pitch and we are very vocal with the umpires even when I played baseball we were very vocal with the umpires but it’s supposed to be different for the girls? Not trying to stir the pot just wondering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Can recall being on a team that our pitching staff
each on there best day
'Any-one' could be selected to start the game.
However only 2 were primarily used as starters.
The 3rd was not.

When I think back about the years playing with the third pitcher,
It was recognizable she had the most feisty personality on the field. She was the pitcher who would talk back to an umpire. She was the pitcher that showed emotional angst on the field. A spitfire perhaps, but feisty and body language showed it.
Looking back I dont think that hurt her performance as far as physical control throwing pitches, however definitely think it hurt her playing opportunity.

Maybe if someone pointed that out to her when she was younger,
as she was developing into her personality,
she would have gotten a handle on it and have more playing time when she got older.

Anyone on dfp getting a handle on their personality?

Late to this post, but it's a really good one.

I had a girl pitch for me for four years. Not a great pitcher, but often the only one I had. Our team also wasn't all that good usually. She was our pitcher for the first four years of our program (we developed more as she got older, but nobody ever surpassed her). I was always impressed by how she was able to handle some of those really bad innings. Never lost her cool, never showed up teammates. Body language was never bad.

A couple years ago I was watching her pitch for another team and she had a panic attack during the game. A while later -- either later that same year or the next -- I saw it happen again. It turns out she wasn't just a cool customer in the circle. She was just stuffing all the frustration and stress down and it led to some serious issues (I don't know if a panic attack is a mental issue, a physical one, or both).

While it wouldn't have been good is she went off on teammates for making errors, finding an outlet for that pent up energy would obviously have been healthier for her. I wasn't the one who told her to be that way, but I also didn't recognize what was going on with her. If I had, I may have been able to get her to be a little more expressive when needed or helped her find healthy ways to handle that pressure and anger and everything else.

Long story short: RAD, I think getting a handle on personalities is one of the most important jobs of a coach. Maybe the most important, especially when dealing with teenagers.

Feb 15, 2017
I hear you and I agree with you not the best example but for what it’s worth she was a good kid played with a lot of tenacity and passion she played for me a couple years ago and is now at Iowa State her uncle played in the Seattle mariner’s organization and was a huge influence in her life I’m guessing he gave her some bad advice lol!!!

I didn’t mean to get off of subject but I don’t understand why it’s frowned upon if girls get a little vocal with the umpires I still play Men’s Fast Pitch and we are very vocal with the umpires even when I played baseball we were very vocal with the umpires but it’s supposed to be different for the girls? Not trying to stir the pot just wondering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends what being vocal and what the ump decides to put up with. What she did wasn't vocal she was showing the ump up. A young kid doing that leaned it was ok somewhere

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23