Strike percentage

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
A college coach told me once that in softball the percentage is tilted toward the pitcher, you only need 3 strikes before you have 4 balls. He told us that he is generally looking for 50%, but once you get to 3 balls you better be able to get a strike.

When my dd is on, I mean really pitching well and the batters are not comfortable. She is right around 60-65%. My wife tracks each game on gamechanger so I am certain of the percentages. Much lower and she is probably at a higher pitch count, much higher and she is probably catching too much plate too often and getting hit.

Jul 26, 2010
And pitchers who do this very well will have very good strike percentages as defined by NCAA stats.

I disagree. A pitcher, and the person calling the pitches, should not think about each pitch on its own, especially at that level. There is a progression and sequence involving a plan and setup for each batter and each at bat. If the pitcher is throwing a high percentage of strikes, the other coach is going to know, and the ball will be hit hard.

You do have a few phenoms that throw this off. Cat Osterman will get a large strike % and never actually throw the ball anywhere near the plate. Each year there are one or two "special" pitchers that can pull this off. The "K" pitcher is a great thing to have in the bullpen. Even then, the pitch calling should be based on getting the batter to hit the ball weakly for an out. The plan is never to get the K, but everyone loves the happy accident.

-W

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I disagree. A pitcher, and the person calling the pitches, should not think about each pitch on its own, especially at that level. There is a progression and sequence involving a plan and setup for each batter and each at bat. If the pitcher is throwing a high percentage of strikes, the other coach is going to know, and the ball will be hit hard.

You do have a few phenoms that throw this off. Cat Osterman will get a large strike % and never actually throw the ball anywhere near the plate. Each year there are one or two "special" pitchers that can pull this off. The "K" pitcher is a great thing to have in the bullpen. Even then, the pitch calling should be based on getting the batter to hit the ball weakly for an out. The plan is never to get the K, but everyone loves the happy accident.

-W

Not sure if we disagree. Also not sure if I follow you. But let me clarify -- When I use the phrase ''strike percentage,'' I'm not talking about the percentage of pitches that are in the strike zone. I'm talking about the percentage of pitches that are ruled strikes (called strikes or swinging strikes) or pitches that are put into play. Everything else is a ball in determining 'strike percentage.'

So to the sentence that I was commenting on ...

''At the higher levels, it is the pitchers job to make balls look like strikes, and strikes look like balls.''

So, if a pitcher does as you say, those count as strikes, correct? They're swinging at balls, or they're taking strikes. All good for the strike percentage.

Dec 7, 2011
I also use the BF and weak hit grounders/pop ups. She could pitch a perfect game and not have a single K.

Noting that the "same" perfect game could apply to two very different pitching performances. One could have been a very good batting team just getting fooled like mad with great location and speed control. But the second instance, with the SAME stats, COULD be just an amazing defense supporting the pitcher that aint that great....)

Jul 26, 2010
Not sure if we disagree. Also not sure if I follow you. But let me clarify -- When I use the phrase ''strike percentage,'' I'm not talking about the percentage of pitches that are in the strike zone. I'm talking about the percentage of pitches that are ruled strikes (called strikes or swinging strikes) or pitches that are put into play. Everything else is a ball in determining 'strike percentage.'

So to the sentence that I was commenting on ...

''At the higher levels, it is the pitchers job to make balls look like strikes, and strikes look like balls.''

So, if a pitcher does as you say, those count as strikes, correct? They're swinging at balls, or they're taking strikes. All good for the strike percentage.

I think we agree for the most part. My point of the last post was to not discount the importance of setup pitches, especially for pitches that usually end up as called strikes, like a screwball on the hands or a change. Often we'll have pitchers brush the batter back with an inside screw just over the thighs to make them watch the next one that comes in on the black. Same thing with throwing a change way off the plate making the batter think to take one that comes later.

-W

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As a HS senior, my DD could put a ball into the strike zone 99 out of a 100 times. She went 35 innings without walking anyone...and when she did walk someone, it was her choice. (She walked the cleanup hitter in a one run game in the 6th inning because the batter almost decapitated the SS last at-bat). In college, she could put a ball in the strike zone 999 out of a 1000 times. She wasn't unusual...any good D1 pitcher can do the same.

Good pitchers try to put the ball on the *EDGE* of the strike zone, not simply in the strike zone. Why? Good hitters crush pitches in the middle of the strike zone (and sometimes they hit pitches on the edge of the zone).

The count dictates how much "wiggle room" the pitcher has. So, if the count is 1-2, then the pitcher will throw a ball at the very edge of the zone, perhaps hoping a seam will catch the edge of the zone. If the count is 2-1, the pitcher will throw a ball that catches more of the zone.

A pitcher *MIGHT* groove the ball on a 3-0 or 3-1 count.

Mar 26, 2013
Someone told me that girls needed at least a 70-75% strike percentage in order to play at a high level (high level being Varsity or A ball). How much of this is true? Last night, DD pitched a full game...her count was roughly 50 strikes/30 balls (some questionable)...she only walked 2 in 4.5 innings (drop dead on time). This puts her so-called "strike percentage" at 60-62%. I thought she pitched a really good game...worked up the count several times...that's roughly 80 pitches across 4.5 innings. But now I am wondering if she still has a lot of work to do (but don't they always...the hard work never really goes away)...

Thoughts?
70-75% is too high if you're facing good hitters. MLB pitchers are usually in the 60-66% range. Going much below that usually means being behind in the count too much.

Strike% isn't a meaningful stat for gauging a pitcher's performance. It can be useful when trying to determine why a pitcher's performance wasn't good. Even then, two pitchers could have the same strike% and vastly different results. One threw a shutout by consistently getting ahead in the count and then purposely throwing pitches outside the zone trying to get the batter to chase and/or set up the next pitch. The other pitcher got behind in the count a lot and ended up giving up a lot of hits and runs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing