Someone explain this to me Hitting Hype

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2016
Why should athletes be grilled like this on what may be the most emotional day of their sports career. I have seen many instagram posts from players reflecting on playing their last softball game after 12 or 14 years of nothing but softball.

It's like the penance of Cersei Lannister in Game of Thrones.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
WOW, it's hard to believe that we are even continuing to encourage the TROLL.

The game is not baseball or golf. It is softball and the emotion and excitement of the game it what makes it appealing. If you find it unappealing or even if it offends your delicate sensibilities, then go post this BS on fakebook with the other trolls.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree...cheers and chants are cool. Im not even throwing them into my question as I think they are just what every team does.
Was curious what you would take as over the top if a hitter got a hit off your dd? Anytime did it happen?

I only remember one incident like that. During a tournament (I believe it was 16u), a player on the other team hit a homer off my daughter. It happens... This girl not only did a bat flip, but stood in front of the batter's box pointing at DD and shouting something. I couldn't hear her, but I was fuming. Homers happen, but the theatrics were not necessary. Bat flip, fine. Pointing and yelling at the pitcher, too much.

We ended up winning the game, so during the handshake line, DD made it a point to shake this girl's hand a little longer and make sure she saw the huge smile on DD's face. Seemed like a better reaction than I could have provided. I was extremely proud of her for how she handled the situation.

Growing up I was the typical emotionless baseball player. I didn't cheer. I didn't celebrate. I knew a lot of trash talkers. My preference was to let them do the talking, while my team was winning the game.

May 20, 2015
Again, asking as sometimes feelings change when its your dd at the plate or on the mound

I dont think the soccer thing has anything to do with this convo...as I never said celebrating was insulting.
Im simply asking quesitons on degrees of celebrations and what people think is ok or not

depends on the level of play........wednesday night friendly? chill a little......sunday finals? go for it........but she doesn't strike out much on sundays ;)

Jul 31, 2015
BAH HA HA
We have a troll, and a comically unself-aware one at that.

Please, keep posting. This is entertaining.
I need the laughs today.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
So after reading through all the comments it breaks down like this. If you have a daughter that plays softball there is no wrong in anything they do they could get a hit scream pick the base up throw it into the stands kick dirt do a backflip on the base whatever they want it doesn’t matter because it’s all covered by being enthusiastic. If you’re a casual fan we just think, ok that must be her first hit of her entire career to show that much emotion.
I had kids play travel ball and would never have accepted that in your face disrespectful level of emotion but parents today always back their kids over authority etc. I have some friends who teach school and no matter how disrespectful the kids are at school if they write them up and send a note home to the parents the parents always calls in and defend them they never have a parent say you’re right I’m going to talk to him about that and get it corrected. Same goes for softball and all these dad’s that are so invested in the game apparently.

It's even more clear that it was before...

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
One of the toughest things I endured as a baseball coach was one of these after-game interviews when the team I coached lost in the state championship game after having won 64 games in a row. One of the jerks (reporters) asked our catcher how it felt to finally lose a game after 64 wins. To his credit, my player tried to give an answer. He mentioned that in one game, they lost the streak, they lost a state title, and they lost being the #1 rated team in the nation. He followed that up with a remark that showed just how great of a kid he was. He said that more importantly, they played their last game in the program (he was a senior) and they let their school and community down and he wanted to apologize for that. I am not a fan of these interviews. I've seen firsthand with my players and then with my own child how much it hurts them to lose and then deal with the press.

Jun 5, 2021
Funny cause the flip side of this hyper spazmatic softball is when they make an error they are smiling and being goofy immediately afterwards. Like they don’t even care they made a bad play. Women sports are just bizarre and no wonder there is no pro version of softball. Hard to take it seriously and this kind of behavior is allowed to continue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32