Someone explain this to me Hitting Hype

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Situation for you

Ok, your dd gets struck out and the pitcher jumps up and down screaming and yelling "lets goooo, shut them down"
and fist pumping. So not saying anything at your dd but pumping her team up...you would think thats ok?

You're gonna sit in the stands and feel thats ok right after she K'd your dd?.

Again, just throwing it out there to see what some think.

DD is a pitcher, but also played other positions growing up. When I was a coach, I didn't really pay attention to chants from other players or fans. My focus was strictly on the game and I tuned out everything else. When I was a parent/spectator, the stress level was different. If she was playing 3rd (or another position), I was typically very relaxed and just enjoyed the game. When she pitched, I was a bundle of nerves. Again, cheers or chants never really bothered me until they became personal. If DD was pitching and the team was making some type of personal chant in her direction, yes, it bothered me. But what bothered me more was when grown men and women would make disparaging comments about a 13 or 14 year old girl. Seriously, an adult insulting a kid??? Grow up people... There were games that I had to walk away toward the outfield because I knew I would have said something that I would have regretted.

She now plays in college (D3 level). There is a lot of cheering and the happiness that Rad is talking about. That doesn't really bother me. This week we are at Oklahoma City taking in the games. 90% of the cheers and chants I have heard are perfectly fine by me. Personally, I think OU overdoes it a bit. They seem to take it to another level. But they are extremely talented, up and down the lineup.

Oct 2, 2017
So after reading through all the comments it breaks down like this. If you have a daughter that plays softball there is no wrong in anything they do they could get a hit scream pick the base up throw it into the stands kick dirt do a backflip on the base whatever they want it doesn’t matter because it’s all covered by being enthusiastic. If you’re a casual fan we just think, ok that must be her first hit of her entire career to show that much emotion.
I had kids play travel ball and would never have accepted that in your face disrespectful level of emotion.

Now you are just being over emotional and going to extremes. No one is even talking about that type of emotion. Every post has had a line that is drawn to being direspectfull.

Jul 5, 2016
So after reading through all the comments it breaks down like this. If you have a daughter that plays softball there is no wrong in anything they do they could get a hit scream pick the base up throw it into the stands kick dirt do a backflip on the base whatever they want it doesn’t matter because it’s all covered by being enthusiastic. If you’re a casual fan we just think, ok that must be her first hit of her entire career to show that much emotion.
I had kids play travel ball and would never have accepted that in your face disrespectful level of emotion but parents today always back their kids over authority etc. I have some friends who teach school and no matter how disrespectful the kids are at school if they write them up and send a note home to the parents the parents always calls in and defend them they never have a parent say you’re right I’m going to talk to him about that and get it corrected. Same goes for softball and all these dad’s that are so invested in the game apparently.

I don't think people are saying there are no limits. Just saying that the enthusiasm of NCAA softball players is within the limits.

Jun 5, 2021
You already proved you dont no squat about softball.
Dont start making up bs now.
Not just softball my friend but they are without a doubt the biggest offenders. Funny how when LeBron James does anything like that people come out of the woodwork’s to rag on him complete opposite with women’s softball though

Jun 5, 2021
I don't think people are saying there are no limits. Just saying that the enthusiasm of NCAA softball players is within the limits.

OK but I don’t see how screaming stomping your foot slamming your hands up and down right in front of the opposing teams fielders is a respectful act

Oct 2, 2017
Not just softball my friend but they are without a doubt the biggest offenders. Funny how when LeBron James does anything like that people come out of the woodwork’s to rag on him complete opposite with women’s softball though

The problem is that Lebrat gets paid millions, and yet walks out on his team. Who is his little temper tantrum of emotion, offending , the other team or his own. Get out of here with that BS. It doesn't apply here.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
DD is a pitcher, but also played other positions growing up. When I was a coach, I didn't really pay attention to chants from other players or fans. My focus was strictly on the game and I tuned out everything else. When I was a parent/spectator, the stress level was different. If she was playing 3rd (or another position), I was typically very relaxed and just enjoyed the game. When she pitched, I was a bundle of nerves. Again, cheers or chants never really bothered me until they became personal. If DD was pitching and the team was making some type of personal chant in her direction, yes, it bothered me.

I agree...cheers and chants are cool. Im not even throwing them into my question as I think they are just what every team does.
Was curious what you would take as over the top if a hitter got a hit off your dd? Anytime did it happen?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck