Rules for passing a runner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I read that a few times earlier and I don’t think it applies to the above play. Hopefully I am allowed to quote it on here:

A runner shall not run bases in reverse order to confuse the fielders nor to make a travesty of the game.

As always they are a clear as mud to me.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I read that a few times earlier and I don’t think it applies to the above play. Hopefully I am allowed to quote it on here:

A runner shall not run bases in reverse order to confuse the fielders nor to make a travesty of the game.

As always they are a clear as mud to me.

The only time to legitimately run them in reverse order is to hit a missed bag.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Note that the rules says a runner is out for running bases in reverse order IF it is a tactic designed to confuse the fielders or make a travesty of the game.

Do you think that this runner headed back toward second base as part of some intentional plan to confuse the defense and gain some sort of an advantage? A runner who is herself confused and retreats is not a rule violation.

Comp gave the correct answer. When the runners passed, the trail runner is out. When the other runner was tagged, she was out.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Last year My DD and I went to watch a D1 softball game. One inning bases were loaded, batter hits a lazy pop fly to deep left field. All the base runners go back to their bag to tag up. Wind keeps carrying the ball and it clears the fence by 2". While they were watch the lazy pop fly the batter rounded 1st base and passed the runner on 1st. The umpire called the batter out and what should have been a grand slam became a 3 run homer.

What would have been really interesting would have been if there were two outs in the inning when this happened. Would the runs still have scored? Help us out Comp!!!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Last year My DD and I went to watch a D1 softball game. One inning bases were loaded, batter hits a lazy pop fly to deep left field. All the base runners go back to their bag to tag up. Wind keeps carrying the ball and it clears the fence by 2". While they were watch the lazy pop fly the batter rounded 1st base and passed the runner on 1st. The umpire called the batter out and what should have been a grand slam became a 3 run homer.

What would have been really interesting would have been if there were two outs in the inning when this happened. Would the runs still have scored? Help us out Comp!!!

Realistically with 2 outs they wouldn't have been tagging up. But let's say they all forgot the number of outs, the third out of the inning would occur as soon as any runner passed the preceding runner and no runs scoring after that occurrence would count and you would potentially have an inning-ending 0 RBI grandslam to cry about for a long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neojapan