This combobulation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
Sorry my initial description of the play actually started with only a runner on first base.
Good eye! Good question!

Wonder if there are any other umpires that can recall themselves stopping action in the middle of a play? Posted to see if there was any reasonings.
I did goof up once and called a Dead Ball when I saw the pitcher double-touch for an Illegal Pitch. The batter did hit the ball for a double. The offensive coach wasn't very happy with me when I explained that I killed play before the pitch was delivered. Two pitches later, the batter hit a home run. As she trotted around the bases, the defensive coach yelled out from the dugout, "Now we got screwed by your screw-up, Blue!" I just looked at him and shrugged.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2024
Earth
I did goof up once and called a Dead Ball when I saw the pitcher double-touch for an Illegal Pitch. The batter did hit the ball for a double. The offensive coach wasn't very happy with me when I explained that I killed play before the pitch was delivered. Two pitches later, the batter hit a home run. As she trotted around the bases, the defensive coach yelled out from the dugout, "Now we got screwed by your screw-up, Blue!" I just looked at him and shrugged.
Haaahaaa

Well two pitches before they hit the Home Run they saw her rope a double,...
🤔maybe that should have been an indicator to keep the ball away from her...atleast dodge the sweet spots...😁

May 29, 2015

Trent Crimm, The Independent . . . Question . . .

When you call "DEAD BALL!" did it actually impact the play?

751447f3-5f04-4b57-8200-729ec4016a44_text.gif

For discussion's sake . . . IF it did NOT -- meaning all players played it out without regard to your verbal slip up -- would you consider letting the play stand?

Dec 15, 2018
CT
On the opposite end of the killing the play spectrum, had this on Sunday:

(for context, a county town league 12u tournament - think rec all stars, last game of the summer, for most last game of 12u, for some maybe last game ever)

Championship game, visitors chasing 6 runs with 2 outs in top of 7th. Batter hits double and is stopped on 2nd base. Ball back to the pitcher, and the defense all huddles up in the circle. For some reason the 3rd base coach starts wandering towards the (now runner) who starts walking towards her. All with the ball in the circle. No one had called "time".

I look at my partner in bewilderment. We both shrug....but then he gives me a look, like "don't do it".

If it were anything other than a really, really low level tournament, that would have ended it right there, and what a way to end a championship game. As is, we let it go, next batter popped up.

Sometimes, when rare circumstances warrant, we bend a little.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoons831