Rule: No sunglasses

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 19, 2013
At DDs middle school tournament the catcher asked my DD if she needed her sunglasses to pitch as the sun was directly in her eyes. The ump behind the plate says "She can't wear sunglasses unless they are prescription". WTH..I had never heard this in all the years of playing softball.

The tournament director came over to talk to the coach and the ump. The director proceeds to tell the ump there is no such rule and asked why he said this. Come to find out, the opposing coach had told the ump this was a rule. It appears that it was his attempt to gain advantage, when they were facing DD. Oh, all of his players had sunglasses on when they were on the field.

Really?

Aug 20, 2013
WOW! If you sink this low to beat children, you shouldn't be coaching. Geesh! I think I would have reported the coach and slashed his tires!

Jun 24, 2013
I guess it is not funny. :)

DD has never had an Issue, they are behind her face mask so I am not sure why anyone would care anyways.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Haha. Why would an umpire go along with this?

But, I heard of a local coach that objected to the other team having sparkly headbands. They had to take them off and so did the 6 members of his own team. ??

Apr 19, 2013
Last time she faced this team in regular MS season, she shut them down. Guess he figured he needed some way to keep that from happening again.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
I probably would have just instructed my team to stop having a staring contest with the Pitcher and focus on her release point when they're at the plate.

Aug 20, 2013
I wouldn't really. LOL I am just left baffled that so many coaches and parents forget that these are children after all. Last season, I overheard a parent being really, really nasty about our own team's outfielders and she couldn't care who heard(our kids were on the same team and my older daughter was one of those outfielders). I was very blunt and told her "You do realize these are children and that people can hear you?" She was stunned. Probably as stunned as I was to hear her demeaning comments.

GG

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
At DDs middle school tournament the catcher asked my DD if she needed her sunglasses to pitch as the sun was directly in her eyes. The ump behind the plate says "She can't wear sunglasses unless they are prescription". WTH..I had never heard this in all the years of playing softball.

The tournament director came over to talk to the coach and the ump. The director proceeds to tell the ump there is no such rule and asked why he said this. Come to find out, the opposing coach had told the ump this was a rule. It appears that it was his attempt to gain advantage, when they were facing DD. Oh, all of his players had sunglasses on when they were on the field.

Really?

Where do you guys find all these people pretending to be umpires?

Jun 29, 2013
Never seen anything quite that ridiculous Gator Girl but very little surprises me when it comes to these issues. I know there's a financial inventive to be a winner, but most of the people I know would (and do) do this all for free due to the love of the game. But we run into people who view it differently all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing